Should truck drivers have their licences suspended for using mobile phones?‏

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
From Commercial Motor
"The Traffic Commissioners believe truck drivers should have their licences automatically suspended for three weeks if caught using mobile phones at the wheel: is this the right course of action?
Tell us your views in May’s Trucking Britain survey."

Results to be revealed in the 5th June issue of Commercial Motor.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister phoned me yesterday on her way back from work. I asked her if she was driving and she said yes, she was on the M1.

I suggested that it wasn't a brilliant idea (or legal!) to be phoning while driving. She replied that it was ok, she had got a new bluetooth headset so it was a hands-free call.

I was just about to point out that the biggest problem is the distraction caused by using phones when driving, not the act of holding them, when she suddenly exclaimed ... "Damn - I have just driven straight past my turn off and it is miles to the next junction!"

QED! :thumbsup::laugh:

The interesting question would be, if any of the chosen groups were off duty, driving their private cars on a shopping trip to tesco and we're caught, do people think the same penalty should apply?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
My sister phoned me yesterday on her way back from work. I asked her if she was driving and she said yes, she was on the M1.

I suggested that it wasn't a brilliant idea (or legal!) to be phoning while driving. She replied that it was ok, she had got a new bluetooth headset so it was a hands-free call.

I was just about to point out that the biggest problem is the distraction caused by using phones when driving, not the act of holding them, when she suddenly exclaimed ... "Damn - I have just driven straight past my turn off and it is miles to the next junction!"

QED! :thumbsup::laugh:

In that case i best remove all my passenger seats.

Reactions: 4F

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The interesting question would be, if any of the chosen groups were off duty, driving their private cars on a shopping trip to tesco and we're caught, do people think the same penalty should apply?

I don't think it matters what the occupation of the offender is, the punishment should be the same across the board and I'd welcome the courts imposing a three-week ban on anyone caught using the phone.

That said, the deterrent effect of such a policy is directly related to the likelihood of being caught; we need more police out there.

GC

stowie

Legendary Member
I don't think it matters what the occupation of the offender is, the punishment should be the same across the board and I'd welcome the courts imposing a three-week ban on anyone caught using the phone.

That said, the deterrent effect of such a policy is directly related to the likelihood of being caught; we need more police out there.

GC

HGVs are disproportionately involved in fatal accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians. They are operating a vehicle which is huge and has problems with blind spots as it is, without the added distraction of mucking around with a mobile. Bluetooth headsets are as cheap as £20 or so, no excuse for not using one if they need to operate a phone in the cab. Because they are operating such dangerous machinery with limited visibility, I think it is proper that the penalty for using a mobile phone (or speeding or that matter) should be greater than someone in a car for instance. And the police realistically won't be everywhere, I would impose much stricter penalties for this law breaking to act as a real deterrent, if the driver realised that they wouldn't be working for a few months if caught they may decide against it.

On a related note, going through London the use of mobile phones by vehicle users of all types is staggering. I have frequently been behind car drivers who are stationary at a green light because they are busy on the phone and then suddenly realise and shoot forward with no glance around them. On tailbacks on the mile end road I reckon I often see well over 25% of drivers fiddling with mobiles. Closest I have been to being knocked off on the bike have all involved car drivers on mobiles who clearly haven't looked before setting off.

Tyke

Yes and I also agree with your other post adding the police ect, nice to hear that from a PC but it only works for those stopped. My local By Pass is used for police training on a regular basis with a small group usually there all day stopping people for speeding, but if you stand there for more than a few minutes you can see many people using phones driving by unnoticed.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I get the impression many of the worst killers on London's roads use mobiles. Worse, I think that often the drivers are being treated as available to talk by the companies they work for. The pressure of constant availability comes from above. Phone offences should be enforced at the level of operator licences.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Apologies for going slightly OT here but I'd also like to see an end to the common practice of television presenters doing pieces to on-board camera while driving. For some reason the camera is commonly placed on the passenger seat, requiring the presenter to frequently take his eyes off the road for long periods as he does his spiel.

Ironically, this is often done while reporting on bad driving habits.

GC

martint235

Dog on a bike
In a completely unscientific survey (ie counting on my way home from work) I find that the closer a car is to the right hand side of the lane, the more likely the driver is on a mobile phone. I would have expected them to be closer to the left hand side as I'm guessing they know they are doing wrong and would therefore over compensate to get them out of harm's way.

Off course you do get the odd twunt who is bang on the lane divider just to stop bikes filtering past.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Not a valid comparison I'm afraid. A passenger is sharing the experience of being in the car, whereas a conversation with someone who is absent has different effects on the driver who is taking part in the conversation. There is research about this if you look for it.

Ahh, you haven’t met my passengers.

pupppyyy.png

sidevalve

Über Member
The problem is not punishment but enforcement of existing laws HOWEVER [OK a tiny bit OT here] I do have one question IF a cyclist is stopped fpr [for example] jumping a red light should they be banned too ? Now don't kick off without thinking here it's not the damage YOU may do but the accident you may cause by someone having to dodge you. For one group to bang on and on about everybody else being punished for breaking the law and basically have no fears themselves is just a tiny bit hippocritical. Do I agree phone users should be punished - of course. Do I think cyclists should act as some sort of secret police [and in 99% of cases have no fear of any retribution if THEY do anything wrong, and please don't try to mention the almost non existant fines for dangerous cycling or whatever] well no too.

Top Bottom