Show off your Giant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
My new Giant defy 1 2014 so happy with it

20140117_181445_zps861685a5.jpg
very nice you may be very happy with it but it has only done maximum of 12 miles (assuming you log all rides) does look good though make sure you maintain that drive train with your life!
near/non-drive side crank looks non-existent in above photo!
how many spacers have you on that headset looks to be about 3 to me and i think thats too many personally? garmin 500 on bars? or is it 200?
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Ahem, we are not all as flexible as you young padawan ;):bicycle:
i'm rubbish just over 100 miles for me so far many on here have done 3 or 400 miles so far!
but i do appreciate weather issues etc especially if that is his only bike then i can see that logging turbo miles may be difficult to just calculate!
Cheers Ed

Giant-Churchy

very nice you may be very happy with it but it has only done maximum of 12 miles (assuming you log all rides) does look good though make sure you maintain that drive train with your life!
near/non-drive side crank looks non-existent in above photo!
how many spacers have you on that headset looks to be about 3 to me and i think thats too many personally? garmin 500 on bars? or is it 200?
Cheers Ed

Hello I'm new to road cycling this is my first bike. I'm afraid I don't know how to set it up its in the same stateas I had it setup when I collected it from the dealer. I have only done 12 miles so far. Turbo miles not used. I have a garmin 800?

Cyclist33

Great bike!

Provided your dealer set up the gears brakes etc properly, that side of it should be ok for now. After a month, book it in for a basic service as cables will have stretched and they will readjust it. Lots of dealers offer this first service free..?

Saddle height, angle and position and handlebar height, angle and position are all fairly subjective and what works for me won't necessarily for you. In general if you're starting out I would leave the handlebars as they are, and for the saddle, set it so that your legs are fairly, but not totally, straight when they are at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and have the saddle level, ie parallel to the ground, and in the middle of its fore-aft position range. You'll soon work out what if anything you want to change.

silvervanplumberman

Über Member
ask her how much she reckons you could get for her!
oh and i see you have a cheap 30 quid bike stand off ebay is it much good about to buy one my self
Cheers Ed

Hi Ed, the bike stand was from Lidl and for the money it's brilliant. Really sturdy, although the clamp isn't strong enough to hold the bike by the seat post but hey, get what you pay for. I'd buy another anyway. And regards the mountain bikes I've still got both for now, not worth selling with the second hand market the way it is. :whistle:

Bryony

Veteran
My Giant Revel 2! I got this for my birthday from my fiancé.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not had the chance to get out on it properly yet as I've been ill since xmas but the couple of little rides I've had on it I've really enjoyed!

Sharky

Guru
Here's my Giant and I don't mean the fat bloke riding it.

Interestingly, I could have added this to a few threads
Fixed wheel, Time-trialing on fixed, Also the bike I do most of my commuting on and I got it through my firm's C2W scheme and I managed to do a century on it on the Castle Ride one year.
Keith
image004.jpg

young Ed

Veteran
Here's my Giant and I don't mean the fat bloke riding it.

Interestingly, I could have added this to a few threads
Fixed wheel, Time-trialing on fixed, Also the bike I do most of my commuting on and I got it through my firm's C2W scheme and I managed to do a century on it on the Castle Ride one year.
Keith
View attachment 37444
looking good! :biggrin:

what gear ratio you got on there?
what model of giant?
Cheers Ed

Sharky

Guru
Looking good, like the fixed gear idea.

I quite like fixed nowadays. In my youth, I would always race on gears - the same bike I used winter & summer. On one of my comebacks, in the 90's, my road bike was getting a bit tired and I had an old Mercian track frame in the loft, so I had it re-painted and for a modest amount, added some wheels and bars etc. and kept it clean for just time-trials. To my surprise, my times were very similar to my gears times and if anything I was more consistant.

Now I have 3 fixed bikes and 2 gears bikes and very occasionally on our local 10 course, I go back to gears, but it never makes any significant difference - maybe 10 seconds, and then when I go back to fixed on a subsequent week, I just do the same or better!

I'm sure if I could afford a dedicated timetrial bike in carbon with tubs and discs etc, I would be quicker, but this would cost in thousands. The fixed bikes I have built up cost a lot less - no more than £600 and this has been spread over several seasons.

Keith

Top Bottom