Show us your Commuting Bike !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
A recent bike build completion has rounded out my commuting stable nicely.

It now comprises:
  • My 15-year-old Roberts, which was the workhorse for many years of tough commuting. This is now ridden mudguardless, to accommodate 32mm tyres, so it's the default dry-weather commuter.
  • The Spa Ti Tourer I added around 2015/16, which fortunately can take 32mm+ tyres with mudguards. Now my spare wet-weather commuter. I need two at all times, to cover periods when either bike is undergoing maintenance, as I categorically refuse to drive to work.
  • The Kinesis GF-Ti, my new gloriously disc-brake-equipped beast of burden for the rain-beaten and mud-laden lanes I have to negotiate to get to work.
  • The splendid electric Giant Road E+1 which, for the last two years of my previous gruelling 200-mile-per-week-all-year-round-whatever-the-weather headwind-infested commute, was a fantastic commuting bike that spared my legs at least some of the effort needed. Doesn't get much use now, since I've moved closer to the office, but it occasionally gets wheeled out if my legs need a rest, or there's a stiff headwind between me and a meeting I'm running late for....what with my new commute being uphill almost all the way to the office.
Between them, the Roberts and Spa have seven pairs of wheels that they can both utilise, so every conceivable tyre type and road condition scenario is catered for. Some of these wheelsets I have been using for over 30 years! How's that for sweating assets?

The Kinesis and Giant both have two wheelsets each, for different conditions too.

All bases covered, I reckon.....

tn_IMG_2799.JPG

tn_IMG_2536 -.jpg

tn_IMG_2819.JPG

tn_IMG_2615.JPG

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
This bike is a proper bitsa but it’s been my trusty commuter tank for years and has been unbelievably reliable through Sun, rain,mud, snow and flooded trails !
1990 BOSS MTB frame with rear rack and panniers from my now dead Specialized Sirrus hybrid which was killed by a taxi. Mudguards also came from the hybrid after a bit of fettling and modifying to make them fit. Saddle came off my Boardman Fixie which preferred the Brooks saddle. I soon got rid of the gears and changed it to single speed with a rear conversion kit from Planet X
Numerous stickers now cover the frame including my latest Cycloshite one 😆
My critters seem to like it or they just want me to hurry and feed them instead of taking photos of my bike

A0BE158A-A4B7-4195-B807-7A2702E78871.jpeg

9C0B3868-232B-4844-AB38-9F244F661E89.jpeg

D27994F2-EA46-4DDB-94D8-60B70E9AA637.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
IMG-20221109-WA0006.jpeg

Not an everyday commuter but occasionally I do or I take clients on the canal, this is the bike I use.
British eagle 501 frame,
R550 wheels, mishmash gears
Suntour superb chainset
Spa saddle.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I don’t use this every day, but on the days that I have the time and inclination to ride to work this is what I use:
3BD773A3-F433-441B-98C8-9E1D04C39163.jpeg

1998 Saracen Dirt Trax with added rack, panniers, mudguards and bar bag. Easily copes with my 12 mile each way ride along the Ridgeway to work, around 80% off-road. Built specially for commuting. Most of it is original - BB, freewheel, wheels, one of the tyres and possibly even the chain. I have replaced the saddle and put SPD pedals on it.

This was the first ‘proper’ MTB I owned, bought 2nd hand in around 2002. I had it for years and then I got a newer hardtail and it became abandoned in the shed. A friend had his commuter bike nicked so I said he could have this one. Years later the friend told me he’d just bought a new bike so I enquired after the Saracen - he said he still had it. I asked if I could have it back and he agreed. Then I added all the commuting gubbins et voila.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This bike is a proper bitsa but it’s been my trusty commuter tank for years and has been unbelievably reliable through Sun, rain,mud, snow and flooded trails !
1990 BOSS MTB frame with rear rack and panniers from my now dead Specialized Sirrus hybrid which was killed by a taxi. Mudguards also came from the hybrid after a bit of fettling and modifying to make them fit. Saddle came off my Boardman Fixie which preferred the Brooks saddle. I soon got rid of the gears and changed it to single speed with a rear conversion kit from Planet X
Numerous stickers now cover the frame including my latest Cycloshite one 😆
My critters seem to like it or they just want me to hurry and feed them instead of taking photos of my bike

View attachment 674199

View attachment 674200

View attachment 674201

I need that sticker, but would be copying you and Skolly !

I was using a Ribble CGR, as my work-bike (ie; do it all)
It was one of the original 'hi-viz yellowy-green', but a crack at the seat-cluster put paid to that frame (July, last year)
So, as I couldn't find a replacement at a good price, I bought a Spa Cycles Aubisque

Everything was swapped over from the CGR, barring head-set, BB, & mudguards (they'd been cable-tied a few too many times)
It's all Tiagra, with R872(?) discs

Plenty of lights (4 at each end)
Schwalbe Marathons ('Reflex')
Reflective (Raw?) mudflaps

Road-Trip. 1.jpg

Top Bottom