Show us your hub gear bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

I had my garage turned over by a tea leaf earlier in the year who made off with a couple of road bikes and most of my tools. Insurance covered the theft, but gave me credit at a bike shop, not cash. I wanted to stay with steel and seeing as I used my road bike off road quite a bit, I went with a steel cyclocross bike. In the end I chose the 2011 Genesis Day_01 Alfine. I love the colour! :biggrin::becool:

5891630009_6ba5fed755_o.jpg

5970592857_500df8b6dd_o.jpg

Both the above photos were taken on the first shake down ride through the forest (about 30k), so I had to tighten everything up when I got home, but it all worked very nicely. :smile: I really like the idea of gear hub bikes now, so I'm thinking about building an SA S2C into a 27" rim for a Dawes Ambassador frame I have in the garage.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When I had a day 01 it looked like this.
5068442210_b66381dd78_b.jpg

But i returned it as the brakes where shockingly dangerous and they couldn't fix them.

DSCF0163.jpg

P5210014.jpg

P2288403.jpg

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

All good looking bikes! :thumbsup: The BWR with two external sprockets is very interesting.

I've sorted the typo in the topic title, BTW. All part of the service :thumbsup:

D'oh! I thought it was gear hub as in "(internal) gear hub".

But i returned it as the brakes where shockingly dangerous and they couldn't fix them.

Oh dear, that don't sound good. What was the trouble? Was it a manufacturing fault or was it something that developed? I've only about 400km on mine but the brakes are OK so far.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's the standard way of making a 6 speed Brompton.
Back in the day, they used 3 speed and 5 speed Sturmey-Archers.
Then SA went bust, so they re-tooled to use a Sachs 3 speed, and then added a bit to the chain tensioner to make it shift across two sprockets , to fill the niche where the 5 speed hub used to sell. Now SA are back in business, and Brompton commissioned a very wide range three speed hub gear. Why they don't use a 8-speed hub I don't know. Maybe this way works out lighter or cheaper, but it certainly gives a bit of a fiddly shift pattern.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Oh dear, that don't sound good. What was the trouble? Was it a manufacturing fault or was it something that developed? I've only about 400km on mine but the brakes are OK so far.

The rotors don't fit the callipers properly, so the result is the brakes sometimes don't work at all.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Oh goody, another chance to show off my Day 01 Alfine, it's my commuter...

gallery_3629_51_888580.jpg

Since this pic it's been re-shod in Conti Top Contact 700 x 32 and it's also now got A530 pedals.

And Mrs 3BM's got a Charge Lazy Susan with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer, like the one below but this isn't a pic what we took I'm afraid (hope that's allowed for now pending arrival of new camera)

charge-lazy-susan-2011-womens-hybrid-bike.jpg

Top Bottom