Show us your mutt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Here's my mutt. His name is Lemmy, which is short for Lemmington Spudulika Hairyballs. He's a Field Labrador, with 5 solid generations of field trials champions in his pedigree. The absolute pinnacle of Labrador breeding.

I bought him for the Missus when she retired to keep her company and to make her get out and exercise. I chose a Lab for their intelligence, gentle temperament and warm character. I was never a doggy person before but this little feller has blown me away.

This is Diesel....he's been on here somewhere before....unfortunately I haven't seen him for a few months...he belonged to my ex partner and i miss him . He's my avatar

Proto

Legendary Member
Here's Lexie. Not looking her most groomed having just climbed out of the river after a late afternoon swim.

lex.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
Exactly!

The wife spends most of her walks calling him back constantly as he legs it towards puddles, rivers etc in which he loves to jump and lie down. His recall is brilliant and he does come back everytime, only to then immediately head straight back, and get called again... Etc. She spends all walk doing this, and often it only needs a few seconds distraction and he's found one and is filthy.

My policy is to have a stress free walk - I let him get as dirty as he wants, and when we get back, hose him down, towel him down - and then utilise the aforementioned cage while he dries!
That's it! Niki was the same....any water was fair game! I don't know why she moaned as I always had to sort him out anyway :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3770270, member: 9609"]a working dog - not only in the house but on the settee :wacko:

Our best friends have a farm, and when we first got to know them they come round to the house one evening, at one point he dragged my dog into the kitchen and said in disbelief "your dog has just got onto the chair" I explained the dog liked the chair, I don't think he or his wife quite understood, (they have outdoor dogs) they spent the rest of the evening being utterly perplexed with our dog jumping on and off the good furniture.^_^[/QUOTE]

I know, I know. In a sense its a waste of a dog. The breeding shows well in him - he's physically perfect working stock, very intelligent, isn't at all fazed by gunshots and is an excellent natural retriever. It can cost 10k to train a top gun dog and our local gamekeeper always stops to admire him whenever we meet.

On the plus side his breeding makes him a superb pet. He's very lively, but also very obedient and knows numerous verbal commands and obeys them instantly. He's very friendly and loving, but incredibly protective, especially of the Missus and my youngest. I bought him from a very well respected breeder and for the quality of animal I think the £500 he cost was a bit of a bargain.

Here's my latest pic: 50% Labrador, 50% fire extinguisher. To replenish, lob ball in sea and wait 60 seconds.

I too was not a dog person before him. I'm still not really. He was foisted on me against my objections and of course I became his main carer. Now he reads me like a book and wraps me around his non opposable claws.

18547240499_66de5db3df_z.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
Here's my girl. Molly. She's somewhere between 15 and 17, not sure of her exact age. I've had her 4 years. I can honestly say I couldn't love her more if I'd had her as a puppy. She's had the all clear for glaucoma today and she's just got a normal age related eye condition. Phew!! Think she's gonna live forever . WP_20131208_01220131208202258.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
I know, I know. In a sense its a waste of a dog. The breeding shows well in him - he's physically perfect working stock, very intelligent, isn't at all fazed by gunshots and is an excellent natural retriever. It can cost 10k to train a top gun dog and our local gamekeeper always stops to admire him whenever we meet.

On the plus side his breeding makes him a superb pet. He's very lively, but also very obedient and knows numerous verbal commands and obeys them instantly. He's very friendly and loving, but incredibly protective, especially of the Missus and my youngest. I bought him from a very well respected breeder and for the quality of animal I think the £500 he cost was a bit of a bargain.
I have trained Oskar to ring a set of bells we have hung at the front door, when he wants out.
If you ignore him he'll come into the front room and stare at you until you get up.
He will also nudge my leg when I'm washing up in the kitchen and stare at his water bowl if it's empty :laugh:
He is such a clever dog :wub:

Top Bottom