Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My beloved Jamis 631 companion...
DSC06465_800x.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My mid 80s Raleigh (Super) Equipe, mainly 105 kit on it now (including Hollowtech 2 crank) but the bike that got me my 'username' on Cyclechat. :becool:

crazyjoe101

Love the look of old (and some new) steel bikes. I've just built up a Cross Check, and whilst not as pretty as the Aende I have from @biggs682 (I'll post some pictures of this when I've rebuilt it) it has it's own charm I think.
It's set up for general rough/'winter' road riding or light touring. 26-36-46 triple chainset, 10 spd 11-36 XT setup at the back, rediculous mudguards, comfy 28s and some crosstops for a bit of versatility. I did my first ride on it today and I quite liked it. I took the parts off the aforementioned Aende frame as I'd put modern parts on it - the next project is restoring the Aende with the old parts I took off it.
27687470780_9434ed0e36_h.jpg
I've named him Cross Colin.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
DSCN0038.JPG

My latest project, an 85 Raleigh 'City' rebuilt with a few new bits.
  • Stronglight 48 tooth square taper crank (replacing a steel cottered one)
  • RM XL 719 rims (700c from 26x 1 3/8) laced onto the original SA 3spd hub and a Shimano 'Dynohub' by John at Bob Warners with 'Dura' gumwall tyres (28s)
  • Ergotec 'Toulouse' handlebars and aluminium stem.
  • Brake calipers changed to Weinmann aluminium (from the pressed steel originals) type 500 front and an 'Alpha rear.
  • A NOS period rack
Just needs a Brooks now to finish it off and I may fit the mudguards/chainguard, not decided yet
DSCN0041.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Picked up this Merchant Strada last night, really pleased with it, my first Mercian, it's 631 tubing with some nice bits like dura ace down tube shifters and Ambrosio Neptune tubular wheels.
Very Nice :becool:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The latest addition to my stable: a Dawes Galaxy in Reynolds 531 which was custom built for the previous owner (when Dawes still did that sort of thing)

DSC0003537.jpg

As purchased (with a non-original and slightly dodgy flat bar set up)......

DSC0003648.jpg

..... and today after conversion back to drop bars and with the drivetrain upped to 27 speed with 46-34-24 chainrings and an 11-34 cassette.

I'm looking forward to racking up some miles on it now.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom