Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'd been looking at steel MTBs for ages, it was certainly more about the clean aesthetic than anything else.
I have by no means been pushing it, staying way within my limitations but it has certainly been fun so far. Seems nicely balanced when I have taken it out over the slightly more challenging parts of the local country parks and the plus tyres do soak up a lot of the bumps
There is something in the back of my head suggesting that 27.5 + may be the betamax of formats going forward but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Where are you based Diggs?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd been looking at steel MTBs for ages, it was certainly more about the clean aesthetic than anything else.
I have by no means been pushing it, staying way within my limitations but it has certainly been fun so far. Seems nicely balanced when I have taken it out over the slightly more challenging parts of the local country parks and the plus tyres do soak up a lot of the bumps
There is something in the back of my head suggesting that 27.5 + may be the betamax of formats going forward but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Twin discs so you can always bang a set of 26" wheels in, you might lose half an inch of ground clearance at the crank.

simon.r

Person
I've been hanging my nose over the Kona Roadhouse since they came out and now they're being sold off in advance of the 2017 model coming out I couldn't resist. First proper ride this evening and I'm *very* impressed:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

bigjim

Legendary Member
This bike was up for sale on the CTC site for £150 but nobody bit. It then went down to £110 and I could not resist. I was informed it had been re-enameled a few years ago and not used since. It has 7 speed campag mirage levers, campag record rear mech, TA chainset and Weinnman wheels with Campag hubs and new Michelin tyres. It also came with a spare record rear mech, spare set of Mavic wheels with Campag hubs incl new tyres and tubes. All wheels look brand new with no discernable rim wear. Plus tools, 6 new inner tubes, bike stand, spare freewheel, pump and new overshoes. I thought is was worth a punt. Had to change the stiff headset and fitted my own saddle and new bar tape. It's a lovely cream colour. I was told it's a 70s bike but looks 80s to me. Rides beautifully.
There is some marking from what looks like sellotape neat the lugs but unsure how to clean it off without damaging paint.
t
28721668982_5a0e5dfe64_c.jpg

28211739383_81f766dd67_c.jpg

28794960206_b2ab79b06a_c.jpg

simon.r

Person
May be worth trying to remove the marks with a soft rag dipped in white spirit.

This bike was up for sale on the CTC site for £150 but nobody bit. It then went down to £110 and I could not resist. I was informed it had been re-enameled a few years ago and not used since. It has 7 speed campag mirage levers, campag record rear mech, TA chainset and Weinnman wheels with Campag hubs and new Michelin tyres. It also came with a spare record rear mech, spare set of Mavic wheels with Campag hubs incl new tyres and tubes. All wheels look brand new with no discernable rim wear. Plus tools, 6 new inner tubes, bike stand, spare freewheel, pump and new overshoes. I thought is was worth a punt. Had to change the stiff headset and fitted my own saddle and new bar tape. It's a lovely cream colour. I was told it's a 70s bike but looks 80s to me. Rides beautifully.
There is some marking from what looks like sellotape neat the lugs but unsure how to clean it off without damaging paint.
t
28721668982_5a0e5dfe64_c.jpg

28211739383_81f766dd67_c.jpg

28794960206_b2ab79b06a_c.jpg
I sometimes use white vinegar on a cloth let it soak then wipe off

Top Bottom