Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

Nice. Nice looking guards, but do they have a safety release at the front? I have seen some cool looking metal ones which don't.
thanks .... they are the Velo Orange Stainless Steel. Not sure what you mean about a safety release? .... they are bolted on (the surly has 2 additional places/lugs to bolt mudguards or a front rack etc .... i.e. I don't need to unbolt the mudguards if I need to take the wheel off)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
thanks .... they are the Velo Orange Stainless Steel. Not sure what you mean about a safety release? .... they are bolted on (the surly has 2 additional places/lugs to bolt mudguards or a front rack etc .... i.e. I don't need to unbolt the mudguards if I need to take the wheel off)
If you'd ever had something either stuck in the tyre (a stick with a thorn) or caught in the wheel that collapsed the mudguard into the back of the forks and instantly locked the front wheel you would understand.

I mean a fixing arrangement which, like SKS guards, will release if something gets stuck between your guards and the wheel/tyre - like a twig. If they don't, your wheel could jam and it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to visualise whar will then happen to you in relation to your front handlebars. I was on a ride a while ago with someone else on a surly who had cool looking metal guards which, after a short look, I worried about.

This might seem liike overfussy nitpicking but I well remember about 20 years ago, when I got back into cycling, being perturbed/p'ed off to find that when cycling along a track my front guards seemed to have detached themselves. Sod it I thought, then took a closer look and figured that my shop-fitted SKS guards had probably saved me from something worse than the minor inconvenience of popping the fittings back in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I mean a fixing arrangement which, like SKS guards, will release if something gets stuck between your guards and the wheel/tyre - like a twig. If they don't, your wheel could jam and it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to visualise whar will then happen to you in relation to your front handlebars. I was on a ride a while ago with someone else on a surly who had cool looking metal guards which, after a short look, I worried about.

This might seem liike overfussy nitpicking but I well remember about 20 years ago, when I got back into cycling, being perturbed/p'ed off to find that when cycling along a track my front guards seemed to have detached themselves. Sod it I thought, then took a closer look and figured that my shop-fitted SKS guards had probably saved me from something worse than the minor inconvenience of popping the fittings back in.
That's why I have those 'flinger' mudguards on the Ridgeback, they only clip on to a fitting on the fork at the top so if anything gets stuck the whole thing ejects from the bike. (and yes I have had a mudguard crumple and lock the wheel, not something I'd like to repeat)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you'd ever had something either stuck in the tyre (a stick with a thorn) or caught in the wheel that collapsed the mudguard into the back of the forks and instantly locked the front wheel you would understand.
So fit add-on secu-clips (the bolt loop will probably click into the plastic lumps inside, ready to be ripped out if needed) and cut the stays down a little, unless you're very sure the guards won't bend.

My old English roadster has stays that I'm pretty sure will bend and snap long before the steel mudguard starts to fold. If something starts to bend stays and guard on the Dutch dapper, the fork's probably toast too! :eek: My other bikes have security release clips on the front mudguard stays. :thumbsup:

BorderReiver

Veteran
Here is my Raleigh Gran Sport .from 1983, freshly restored. I bought it new for the ludicrous large sum of £300 and it has languished in the back of the shed for about 25 years. The groupset and wheels sadly disappeared a long time ago so I've had it fitted with STI bosses on the downtube and a threadless headset. I would have liked to keep it completely original but the idea is to ride it, not hang it on the wall. Only when the sun is shining, obviously. I was a bit horrified to discover it weighs 2.8Kg as shown in the pictures, all that chrome must be really heavy (looks great though!).
GranSport.jpg
GranSport.jpg
GranSport1.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lovely looking bike and sooooo CLEAN!
BUT ..... yet another picture of the WRONG side. I'm interested in bikes - and the most interesting view of a bike shows the important bits that make it go. Too many pics recently taken from the other side. It's not hard to turn the bike around........

dim

Lovely looking bike and sooooo CLEAN!
BUT ..... yet another picture of the WRONG side. I'm interested in bikes - and the most interesting view of a bike shows the important bits that make it go. Too many pics recently taken from the other side. It's not hard to turn the bike around........

I'm showing off with the water bottles :becool:

RedRider

Pulling through

Attachments

• P1050334.jpg
    P1050334.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 55
Here is my Raleigh Gran Sport .from 1983, freshly restored. I bought it new for the ludicrous large sum of £300 and it has languished in the back of the shed for about 25 years. The groupset and wheels sadly disappeared a long time ago so I've had it fitted with STI bosses on the downtube and a threadless headset. I would have liked to keep it completely original but the idea is to ride it, not hang it on the wall. Only when the sun is shining, obviously. I was a bit horrified to discover it weighs 2.8Kg as shown in the pictures, all that chrome must be really heavy (looks great though!).
View attachment 153596 View attachment 153596 View attachment 153597

That looks very similar (though not colouring) in shape to the frame I'm failing miserably to build up into a single speed. I've got the handlebars and stem sorted. That's about it!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Just bought today

Started off at 3pm as a complete hardly used 2003 Raleigh Chimera with Sora 8 speed groupset.

Stripped of parts (except BB which needs to be removed by LBS)

Cheap and nasty Raleigh decals removed

Cr-Mo frame with rack and mudguard mounts, will make a nice cheap audax/light tourer

30896290643_cbf27503b1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom