Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Goldie said:
My 1970 Claud Butler Electron, post cleaning and plus sunshine:

DSC01982.jpg
Wow Goldie, that stirs some memories.

I bought one of those frames brand new around 1969/70, mine was finished in green. I had chrome forks though, courtesy of some twat who turned across my path on the A11.

In fact, a quick google found it in the 1968 CB catalogue. If anyone can drag up a colour pic from somewhere I would love to see it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/CBcats/Cat_68/P2_ElectS5.jpg

Goldie said:
Not bought from Sheffield off of the ebay was it? I had my eye on that! Frame was a bit too small for me but I thought it was a brilliant looking bike.

Nope it wasn't, My dads had it for ages and I just got it out the garage last week.

Goldie

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Wow Goldie, that stirs some memories.

I bought one of those frames brand new around 1969/70, mine was finished in green. I had chrome forks though, courtesy of some twat who turned across my path on the A11.

In fact, a quick google found it in the 1968 CB catalogue. If anyone can drag up a colour pic from somewhere I would love to see it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/CBcats/Cat_68/P2_ElectS5.jpg

I missed a green one on ebay a few days later! I was umming and arring about whether it was a sign of obsession to try and collect the entire CB back catalogue in every colour combination and while I was doing that, I got outbid. Only a few miles away, in Ashton under Lyne, and went for £39. I was sorry to miss that one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320526094626&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Manonabike

Über Member
porkypete said:
It's been a while since I posted a pic of my Dawes Galaxy, and I realised the other day just how much it's evolved / improved since.

Here it is in full "audax" trim (right down to the pencil attached to the bar bag with a piece of elastic)

Galaxy2010.jpg

Here are the changes I've made from the 1987 standard bike:

Handbuilt wheels: Open Pro rims on 105 hubs
(I am so glad I learned how to build wheels - these have been perfect)
Rear Mech: Ultegra
Front Mech: 105
BB & Cranks: 105
Chainrings: TA 50/38/26 (yeah I know - what a wuss!)
Cassette: 12-30 (custom built from sprockets taken from a butchered 11-32 and a 11-34)
Rear brake: Suntour SE (Petersen design)
Saddle: Brooks Ti Swift
Handlebars: Nitto Randonneur
Shifters: Sora (thanks MacB !)
SKS Chromoplastics
Topeak Saddle bag & pump
Tesco Q/R Handlebar bag (why don't they do those any more?)
RAM GPS mount on Stem
Home made light brackets on low riser bosses.

OK so I've spent more on it in the last couple of years than the original bike cost....but it really suits me and the riding I do now. Depending on when I can afford my dream titanium frame (Yukon?), the drive train will be swopped straight across (or duplicated)....although I might upgrade the shifters before then.

OH yes - and a big thank you to all on CC forums from whom I've learned enough to do all this without recourse to LBS.

That is a great looking bike - big frame, isn't it?

Was it difficult learning to build wheels?

Goldie

Über Member
The bike fairy has paid me another visit and handed over the keys to this lovely silver Viking with 12 speed Hurets and slightly wobbly Bluemels mudguards. It is a little bit dusty at the moment, but apart from the bar tape it is in absolutely beuatiful condition.

I used to have an 18 inch framed five speed Viking when I was in my early teens that was a ringer for this, only in dark metallic blue, so I am genuinely thrilled to have picked up another one.

DSC02032.jpg

Sorry about the unispired dungeon-like photo location, I'll stick another one up with natural light and everything once I've given it a quick wash. I'm hoping to dqueeze my first ride in tomorrow. :biggrin:

I'm quite a fan of steel. I dont own anything other than steel bikes at the moment.This is the latest, a 30 ish year old Holdsworth that I just bought as a frame and built up. The person I bought it from reckons its never been ridden, and looking at the condition of it I could imagine he's right!
P1010681.jpg

My Old Skool Saracen
e68a_3.jpg

MY Soma Smoothie
Image2-1.jpg

I've also got a Brommie and a On One Pompino tucked away :rolleyes:

brokenbetty

Über Member
This was my project over Spring - bought through ebay from a lovely couple near Birmingham. They got it second hand in 1978 and had it refurbished - they still had the receipt :laugh:

The frame is 19 1/2". I think it's a Viking Mileater - it had a mileater graphic, but the head tube logo had been overpainted, and it also had a few decals that seemed to date from the refurb rather than original.

This is the original ebay picture:

4609118469_bd7444cc2a_o.jpg

A couple of close ups of the original paintwork:

4609118405_7826ea2766_m.jpg
4609114529_9e185ab068_m.jpg
4609721614_e5f19a8a63_m.jpg
4609114063_e77e497a45_m.jpg
4609117809_ab5743c915_m.jpg

And this is it ready to ride to work tomorrow :rofl:

4612812998_a1b313809e.jpg

4612804426_a45f544c7e.jpg

4612824516_90847d04c2_b.jpg

I'm a bit sad I didn't keep the original paintwork but it was pretty shot and nice though it was it didn't justify £100s to have it redone.

c2c

redredrobin
c2c said:
here is mine, sorry its in B/W, for now that was the only way to reduce the file size. an early eighties holdsworth i think, rides beautifully.

View attachment 6301

the holdsworth in glorious technicolour. uncleaned, unrestored, probably slightly unoriginal.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Manonabike said:
That is a great looking bike - big frame, isn't it?
Sure is, 25-1/2" - they don't come any bigger unless you get something specially built.

Manonabike said:
Was it difficult learning to build wheels?
No it wasn't. It's just a bit time consuming the first few. I used the Wheelpro book. Clear diagrams and easy to follow instructions - Excellent value IF you want conventional 32 spoke or 36 spoke wheels (maybe 28 spoke at push). I've not tried anything less than 32 spoke myself.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Here is my Raleigh R100 bought with no wheels as a winter hack off ebay for £60. Sora groupset and double butted cromo frame. Re-taped the bars, replaced the headset and forks. I like the geometry, the ride is quite relaxed and comfy but still quick.
I was going to get a new aluminum bike for the summer but I seem to be getting attached to this now. Might just get a better set of wheels for it.
Steel is real:smile:

picture.php

Top Bottom