Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
rh100 said:
That's a beauty.

Slightly off topic, did you fit the dual pivot brakes in replacement of cantilever brakes? If so, was it straight forward and is there a noticeable improvement?

No, the dual pivots replaced weinmann centre pulls - like this:

4042205918_47a9946f96.jpg

Very popular on touring bikes in the 80s, before cantis took over. Convertion is very simple because centre pulls have a single bolt through the fork crown and seat stay brace exactly the same as dual pivots.

The advantage of the Tekros is that they are extra deep drop, so when I replace the 27" wheels with 700c the brakes will still reach.

GazK

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
like it ;)

get yourself the matching brooks toestraps…

Now why did you have to make an excellent suggestion like that? Now my budget is in even more trouble! :blush:

stevevw

Guru
Just finished this for my Son's girlfriend to go with the one I did for his Birthday. They have not seen them or know about them yet. They will tonight, hope they like them.

DSCN4561.jpg

DSCN4575.jpg

DSCN4581.jpg

She is to go with Him
DSCN4582.jpg

DSCN4598.jpg

DSCN4599.jpg

Young love for young love
DSCN4621.jpg

brokenbetty

Über Member
stevevw said:
Just finished this for my Son's girlfriend to go with the one I did for his Birthday. They have not seen them or know about them yet. They will tonight, hope they like them.

Those are gorgeous! There's no chance they won't like them

rh100

Here is my Galaxy so far, it's my first attempt at a restore. The frame is 531 ST with Deore and Exage equipment, have added cross top levers also.

Not happy with the handlebar tape colour, have got some black tape on order so will replace it with that. Hopefully it won't look too girly when that's been done. :wacko:

The chrome hasn't come up too bad, but still a bit pitted on the stem and the cranks.

the wheels are odd types at the moment, and will get some mudguards and panniers for it once I'm happy it suits me.

Thanks to all for all help received so far, cheers.

stevevw

Guru
rh100 said:
The chrome hasn't come up too bad, but still a bit pitted on the stem and the cranks.

Looks like the stem is Alloy so try Solvol Autosol to polish it up as for the cranks they look like they are anodised alloy so not much you can do to them unless you strip off the anodising and polish them.

Looks good though.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
stevevw said:

What a fantastic job - they look superb! :becool:

rh100

stevevw said:
Looks like the stem is Alloy so try Solvol Autosol to polish it up as for the cranks they look like they are anodised alloy so not much you can do to them unless you strip off the anodising and polish them.

Looks good though.

Thanks for the tip.

It's my first attempt at a restoration, it really needs a paint job though. Here is the thread with some pics before I did anything to it.

BTW, those two of yours look awesome.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
A new surly cross check frame, old wheels, gears and brakes, I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out. I have some new 9 speed bits to go on it, but I thought I'd get some use out of all the retro bits I still have from my old bike (so I now have one green 531st, 23 1/2" fastish touring frame looking for a new home!):

attachment.php

indexed downtube shifters, with 6 speeds!

attachment.php

biopace triple, from 1988 or 89:

attachment.php

and I got some new Velo Orange bottle cages, stem and new nitto bars:

attachment.php

attachment.php

stevevw

Guru
Jezston said:
Steve - do you have any single daughters by any chance? I'd like you to be my dad.

As it happens I do. I am currently doing up an old Muddy Fox for her boyfriend. I will give you a shout if the marridge does not go ahead. :sad:

Top Bottom