Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BUR70N

I am not sure of the origins of this bike, the sticker said Not Just Bikes - R Palmer but I think he may of been a doer upper for bikes at a shop in Suffolk. Yeah the tyres are the solid type!

Thinking of turning it into a single speed bike as most of the components are too far gone, Dia Comp Blaze groupset.

just seen your other post re this one.

looks good whatever you decide to do with it.

Enid Agnus Dei

My Raleigh Europa 5 speed from 1980 all steel and to me the best cycle ever made.

Attachments

• yes yes yes.jpg
    yes yes yes.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 85

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thought I'd posted a photo of my old Dawes Lightning which I bought new in Feb 1982 and still ride every week... here it is taken in 2009 [with the original saddle pedals, wheels and brake blocks].

Attachments

• IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 85
Here's my latest acquisition via roadrash of this parish. It's a Claud Butler Oracle with Reynolds Cromoly tubed frame, weighs a ton but it's a hoot to ride, well it was until the seatclamp bolt sheared today!

Picked it up last week but on closer inspection the hubs were pretty shot. I actually had the same wheels lying around so swapped them over with the tyres too, (I hate non-matching tyres TBH :becool:), and now I'll get the other hubs re-built and put the original wheels back 'on stock' as spares.

I've sprayed the bar ends satin black as they were a rusty eyesore, and changed the seatpost QR as it wasn't clamping up tight enough for my @rse, but other than that I've done nowt, and it's my intention to even more of nowt to it.

I'd forgotten what a hoot it was tearing around woodland trails, this thing has turned me into a bit of a hooligan TBH. I think my next serious purchase might be a decent spec MTB again after this ;)

Claud Butler 2.jpg

Claud Butler.jpg

Second pic is on today's shakedown ride in the woods, ignore the saddle angle, it was working loose and when I got home and went to tighten it was when the bloody bolt broke!

Here is mine. Raleigh pro race with a Reynolds 501 frame. I found it whilst clearing a loft out. It had been bought brand new, Done one 3 mile ride and then put up there and sat for nearly 20 years. Got it out, gave it a clean and oil and it's been great! I did change the tyres however, The rubber on the originals had gone brittle and was breaking up. I didn't fancy going to far on them....
DSCF1230_zps24dd99c3.jpg

P.H

Über Member
Hi PH, I really like the look of your Soma ES, how do you like it now you've had it a few months? Steve

Hi Steve, I said I'd give you a review of my SOMA ES once I'd done a few Audax on it, so a bit later than planned because the jury is still out. It rides lovely, I knew the geometry and size would suite me and it does. The Tange Prestige is a good tubeset, better than I thought it would be, some might call it a bit too flexi, but I like that on an Audax frame, though you wouldn't want to carry too much luggage on it. It wasn't an expensive frame, I imported in via Ebay USA so even with the tax and VAT it was still 30% cheaper than the UK price, though they weren't being given away, a bit dearer than the SPA Audax and a bit cheaper than the Thorn, which were also on the shortlist. But the finish is poor, the headtube needed facing, every thread needed cleaning, the seatpost needs a shim to stop it slipping and the paint is fragile (Though a lovely colour) I can imagine it'll be tatty and in need of a respray in a few years, much sooner than I'd expect from a decent finish. For this reason it may well not turn out to be the bargain it looked to be, I shall still enjoy riding it, but because of the finish don't feel I could recommend it to anyone.

AndyRM

XOXO
Here is mine. Raleigh pro race with a Reynolds 501 frame. I found it whilst clearing a loft out. It had been bought brand new, Done one 3 mile ride and then put up there and sat for nearly 20 years. Got it out, gave it a clean and oil and it's been great! I did change the tyres however, The rubber on the originals had gone brittle and was breaking up. I didn't fancy going to far on them....
DSCF1230_zps24dd99c3.jpg

That's a very smart looking machine, and in much better nick than the vaguely battered one that I've seen parked around in Gosforth.

tdm

Über Member
I used this bike this year for uni commuting etc. Recently sold it because I couldn't leave it here over the summer holiday.

KeithLambert.jpg

Top Bottom