Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I finallly built up the Rourke from a few pages ago and have just been for his first shakedown. Meet Brian, he's got more spangly silverness than Freddie Mercury in his pomp. And he is rapid, super tight wheel clearances, the25's just fit at the back and wont take bigger. I wanted full silver 32 spoke wheels but couldnt afford it just yet, so just got some de-stickered Vento's for now but still looks pretty badass. I'm waiting for some new cycle shoes so white Look spd-sl's will be going on soon. It changes direction like a Tron bike, even with the noodly quill stem. Much less flex than my Columbus SL Denti, dont think its 531,quite a bit lighter than the SLX Simoncini, may even be 853. And crikey he's bloody hansome. Rubbish photo still not captured the sparkle, but I'm well pleased with it and hope to put some serious miles on it this week on one of the less scorchio days. View attachment 93890
I've just shot my load .....

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks all. I've fallen hopelessly in love with this bike already. It's only the 3rd bike Ive put together so I'm pretty chuffed. It rides like none of my other steel bikes and accelerates like a stabbed rat and holds speed like a runaway freight train, yet is much more comfrotable than those straight forks suggest.

It looks so much nicer than a modern bike and a lot more expensive than I put it all together for, so I'm still pinching myself to check its not some elaborate dream. Anyway took a few more pics in the glorious sun that managed to give an impression of the sparkle of the paint.
c4b4f4bb-3be6-4629-9177-b7dd4fd1481f_zpsjdip1ygx.jpg
P1020192%20Large_zpsmk5mwyju.jpg

highline

I can't decide whether or not I should clean it.
View attachment 91686
Browsing through I saw your picture of the Carlton International, thankfully mine was not as bad when I acquired it and after some new paint, decals and polish it scrubbed up pretty well.
Eroica Britannia 2015 Carlton International.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks all. I've fallen hopelessly in love with this bike already. It's only the 3rd bike Ive put together so I'm pretty chuffed. It rides like none of my other steel bikes and accelerates like a stabbed rat and holds speed like a runaway freight train, yet is much more comfrotable than those straight forks suggest.

It looks so much nicer than a modern bike and a lot more expensive than I put it all together for, so I'm still pinching myself to check its not some elaborate dream. Anyway took a few more pics in the glorious sun that managed to give an impression of the sparkle of the paint.
It's little wonder that many UK Pros buy custom Rourke steelies for their training steeds. If you are in the area, the shop us worth a visit. Enjoy!

Cold Snail

Über Member
I had a day off today and had to pick up my wife's car from the garage so took my new Tour De Fer out for a 32 mile detour to get the riding position dialled in.

ow5mkxxr2wIVGOIG8LNmOPAxscQk1ZRVuR7BSNNPAU8.jpg

aGbpHBe2Wkm7Zl7U6kt-_vx7RT_KyU7_1c6M7cGOj8E.jpg

The original saddle may well be comfortable, but I've changed it to a Spa Nidd saddle as that is what my bottom knows, and this evening added an adjustable stem as I felt it would be better a little higher and closer.
Being 6'3" I thought a 58cm frame would be too small, but it's a rare bike to find as the new model is coming soon and all I could find was a 58 XL, so I took a punt and it feels very long compared to my 61cm Allez.

Cyclist33

I want it so badly.

Mike!

Guru
It's a shame the saddle is rather uncomfortable, but I can't find another grey one!

Couldn't you get one you do find comfortable re-trimmed? I've used a local company to me for re-trimming a worn car seat before with excellent results, i'm sure a bike seat would be easy enough for someone who knows what they are doing.

Top Bottom