Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I swooned and fell in love with an excellent condition set of Campagnolo Shamal tubulars in black this week. I've never had tubs before but have always wanted to know what they ride like. I'm probably opening myself up to a world of inconvenience, expense, and if all goes wrong, some long walks home, but what the hell, these are only for Sunday best/sunny day rides, and they're so pretty:whistle:

They came fitted with some 21mm :eek: Zipp Tangente tyres which I'm replacing with some Open Pave in 25's, but I pumped them up and took them for a test ride on my Brian today before they get changed, he's looking very dashing in his new shoes, wow they are quick.
P1020722_zpsgiolaeoy.jpg

Last edited:
Raleigh Routier restoration coming along okay now... saddle looks wonky because it's balancing on a seat pin at the mo - so "all I need" now is the saddle clamp (bought), a chain, a crank (sourced), some brake cables, aaaand... I think/hope that's it!

BB

DSC05692.JPG

Hardrock93

Guru
Raleigh Routier restoration coming along okay now... saddle looks wonky because it's balancing on a seat pin at the mo - so "all I need" now is the saddle clamp (bought), a chain, a crank (sourced), some brake cables, aaaand... I think/hope that's it!

BB
Nice, I like the wheels. The stickers on your Routier have survived the years much better than mine, which were so tatty I removed them (photo shows some still in place). Horrible, sticky-backed-plastic things. Yours looks like it has quite a large frame?

P1080387lo.JPG

Nice, I like the wheels. The stickers on your Routier have survived the years much better than mine, which were so tatty I removed them (photo shows some still in place). Horrible, sticky-backed-plastic things. Yours looks like it has quite a large frame?

View attachment 117271
Cheers - nice bike - I do like the frame. Yeah it looks like mine is bigger than yours (!) but I think it will come in about the same ride geometry as my modern slopey road bike... I'm running the ex-Routier (top tube stickers were particularly tatty so I took them off) as a single-speed so that I don't have to learn how to cable up gears just yet. Just realised a terribly stupid error, I've put the rear wheel on with the hub on the wrong side. Because the bike was upside down and I am crap with left and right etc.

Wheels are old Fulcrum Racing ones with a single-speed converter so they won't be dished or whatever properly for single-speed, although I hardly imagine that will make a huge difference to me - they seem pretty bombproof.

Cost thus far has been:

Frame / fork - free recyc
Wheels - Fulcrum Racing 5 "free" (already had them for 3 years)
New BB - quoted £7 by lbs
Seat pin - £7
Saddle - £11
Saddle clamp - £5
Handlebar - £15
Stem - £10
Grips - £10
Brake levers - £8
Single-speed hub kit - £8
Planned chainset is £25 and planned brakes £40 for the pair. Cables I imagine will be about a tenner. So all in all quite a well specced commuting bike with some nice new componentry for about 150 quid :smile:

BB

Gatters

I swooned and fell in love with an excellent condition set of Campagnolo Shamal tubulars in black this week. I've never had tubs before but have always wanted to know what they ride like. I'm probably opening myself up to a world of inconvenience, expense, and if all goes wrong, some long walks home, but what the hell, these are only for Sunday best/sunny day rides, and they're so pretty:whistle:

They came fitted with some 21mm :eek: Zipp Tangente tyres which I'm replacing with some Open Pave in 25's, but I pumped them up and took them for a test ride on my Brian today before they get changed, he's looking very dashing in his new shoes, wow they are quick.
P1020722_zpsgiolaeoy.jpg
That's the dogs wotsits is that :smile:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Nice - I raced 'cross in the Schoolboy North West League with the Orrell twins (Anthony and Andy) back in the 70s. Their Dad (Neil) raced in the senior category, I believe he's still riding, last met him at L'Eroica in 2011.
Local then?

Word on the street sez Neil's just sold his shop- still building though. I'm pondering a disk braked 853 thingy next.

iandg

Legendary Member
Local then?

Word on the street sez Neil's just sold his shop- still building though. I'm pondering a disk braked 853 thingy next.

I grew up in Stafford. Joined Stafford Road Club when I was 12, There was an old club van and older members used to drive us up to the north west most weekends in the winter to ride the NWCCA league races.

Steeler

Über Member
View attachment 117016
This is the 4th iteration (I think) of my Kaffenback in 1x9 speed gearing, it's currently 2x10 speed but much the same otherwise. The original coffee coloured paint stripped and powder coated.

Ah...just found a picture of this earlier version but lost pictures of the original build due to laptop crash......must remember to back-up picture files!

DSCF1889.JPG

Top Bottom