Show us your - winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Very nice :smile:
Is your seat level ? looks like its pointing down .

I angled it down a little to put less pressure on certain nerves...

The bike is medium sized, I think I really need a large. Otherwise it was very smooth on the way in today. The chain had not seen lubrication for ages but I soon sorted that out. I enjoyed using the drop handlebars though and I did get down in the drops here & there.

Just built this up from an old scrap bike, not my winter bike but my lads school /my shop/off-licence bike ( Bikes are regularly stolen from his school) It's single speed and has been put to good use by both myself and my lad. The next plan is to remove two of the rings from the cheapy chainset . The rear single sprocket setup has been made by separating two cassettes and using the plastic spacers to line the chain up right ( The photo angle makes the chainline look out)
Finished with a coat of brushed night time invisibility paint.
P5100058.jpg

P5100061.jpg

Moss

I recently bought myself a Ridley X Ride for the winter! But then realise it's such a nice lightweight bike, that it's going to be a second "Nice Weather" road bike >

P1070373.jpg

P1070382.jpg

P1070381.jpg

Now changed the tyres to Michelin Lithion 700 X 23 road tyres!
P1270416.jpg

P1270417.jpg

P1270421.jpg

bobones

Veteran
Here's my winter bike. It's a 2011 Trek 1.5 56cm, frameset that I picked up for £150. I built it up with parts from my old winter bike. Drive train is Microshift 10 speed shifters, SRAM PG-1050 11-28 cassette, Shimano Sora compact chainset, Sora FD and 2300 RD.

Edit: Now with matte black SKS Blumels, black cages and a Bontrager carbon seat post.

trek15.jpg

trek1024.jpg

trekblack1024.jpg

Gingerbloke

5d3f2ec87304c7edb23136a217bf85d0.jpg

All put together for £350, after the kind donation of frame and forks. Just completed the exmoor Beast on it, rides really well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dusted off for icy weather, and snow. My 20 year old Diamond Back Tange Cromo steel rigid MTB with vintage Deore XT and LX.

Added full guards to take on the sandy mucky stuff that comes off the Trans Pennine Trail. Added a pop bottle mudflap to the front. Snow Stud Tyres.

Lights Front - Magicshine 808E T6 and a Planet X Special Cheap 3w Backup.
Lights Rear - Blackburn Mars 4 and 2 x Cheap Planet X Specials (RSP Astrum copies) - not bad for £2.50 each.

I'll be riding this for a few weeks until my undercarriage is able to take the battering from the fixed.:wacko:

Oh, Garmin equipped too - I think the Strava Sections will be safe on the TPT with this tank ! :thumbsup:

IMAG0330.jpg

my winter commuter boardman cx team... you may have seen it before ..:laugh:
View attachment 5280
That looks like almost the ideal winter bike, perhaps with longer/deeper mudguards, & a brighter colour?, but discs on a commuter... superb:wub:

Anyway here's my old Dyna-Tech (bought new in 1994)
Sadly, due to the very close clearances, I can only get Salmon Profils on it, along with '20' tyres, but..... it's quite possibly the best-handling bike I've ever ridden (however, that could be simply familiarity??)

Oh, & it's predecessor; the 'yellow bike'
This may get re-used this winter (once I free off the STI levers, it refuses to change 'up' the block - derailleur is fine)

Cycling. 2007. Yellow Bike. 9.JPG Cycling. 2008. Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 3.JPG Cycling. 2011. Dyna-Tech. 1.JPG

defy-one

I would look again at your saddle position my friend. You are putting a lot of pressure on the crown jewels..... This can cause severe blood flow problems!!!!

Top Bottom