Silly place names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
One of the place names that has always amused me is Moscow Farm.Why?Well,because it stands just outside RAF Spadeadam in North East Cumbria.In the early days of the Cold War,the Blue Streak rocket was developed here(very apt name,if you streaked up here youd be blue as well)therefore it was a very hush-hush sort of place,boffins in tweed jackets inside and suspicious looking men in astrakhan hats outside.Nowadays it performs a role for NATO fast jets but honestly,talk about the enemy at the gates!

Slioch

Guru
On a slightly different tack, I've always been enchanted by the (IMHO) beautiful and poetic names given to landscape features around Glen Trool in Galloway on the OS 1:50K maps. Here's a few of my favourites....
  • Rhinns of Kells,
  • Rig of the Jarkness.
  • Neive of the Spit.
  • Long Loch of the Dungeon and Round Loch of the Dungeon.
  • Dry Loch :wacko:
  • Buckdas of Cairnbaber.
  • Rig of the Gloon
I don't know what they put in the water in that neck of the woods, but the locals must have had a right laugh when they were thinking up those names!

Davidc

Guru
Somerset has some good ones. My favourites are the villages of Wales and Sea. I can say, truthfully and with a straight face, that I've cycled through Sea, and cycled from one side of Wales to the other in under 10 minutes. If you like your rides hot and spicy you can always go through North Curry, Curry Rivel, or Curry Mallet.

Dorset's Piddle valley has a micro-brewery so you can drink beer from the Piddle Brewery. Dorset is also full of Puddles, the most famous of which is Tolpuddle of martyrs fame. The Puddles are, as you'd expect, located along the river Piddle.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Somewhere in East Anglia

nasty.png

Stephenite

Membå
We have a Lewd Lane near us. We are also surrounded by place names ending in "enden", eg Biddenden, Brissenden, Frittenden, Lashenden, Bethersden, Tenterden. Not funny in themselves but I have taken to referring to Tenterden as

"Ten-ter-den-den-DEN!"

at every opportunity. I'm a joy to live with.
Amazing. You ought to learn a scandinavian language. You've grasped the basics.

Tin Pot

Guru
Pratt's Bottom

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
There are some Piddles in Dorset, all down the Piddle Valley along the River Piddle, of course...

Dorset's Piddle valley has a micro-brewery so you can drink beer from the Piddle Brewery. Dorset is also full of Puddles, the most famous of which is Tolpuddle of martyrs fame. The Puddles are, as you'd expect, located along the river Piddle.

The Puddles were Piddles until, urban legend has it, the prudish Victorians changed the names. I suspect they just got corrupted over time, though.

Near Corfe Mullen there's a Happy Bottom and a Far Corfe. Not a village, but there's a Whammy Syke in North Yorkshire. Once Brewed and Twice Brewed, near Hadrian's Wall, are great names. I always thought Roseberry Topping sounds more like a cup cake than a hill. On the No Man's Land theme, there's a house in Chester called Nowhere, which is allegedly where the Beatles got 'Nowhere Man' from, and there's a No Place in Durham. Tynesiders seem to enjoy naming places after modes of transport - Byker, Walker. And wasn't there a mining village in Durham called Number One?

Top Bottom