Sky TdF team...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
History says Porte is not a great Plan B in a 3 week grand tour. Best result is 7th in the Giro when he gained some time from a breakaway. Wiggins has two other podium places to go alongside his win. But it's a fruitless debate because they would have taken them both (it was never going to be a choice between the two) and we'll never know, because they didn't.

It was a great ride by G and Porte yesterday, so I'd like to see Porte do well, but with the fall he sustained and his recent form, I can't see him on the podium if everyone else stays fit and healthy.

Hont

Guru
My sympathy for Wiggo plummeted after the Tour of Switzerland.
Well he was ill in the TOS and then fell, so I don't think it was all dummy spitting. And it is another example of indifferent man management by Sky. Wiggins was only every going to be demotivated by being sent a clear signal that he was not going to the Tour. A bit of a failure on both sides IMHO.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
History says Porte is not a great Plan B in a 3 week grand tour.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. Don't forget that his 7th in the 2010 Giro was his debut in a Grand Tour, and he won the white jersey for best young rider. He's not a young rider any more, he's a very experienced and talented pro and, most pertinently, Brailsford thinks he's capable of winning a GT.

True, he's untested as a team leader, so whether or not he can cope with the pressure remains to be seen, but I have a hunch Brailsford knows what he's doing.

Also true, his form this year hasn't been great and has been affected by illness, but would Sky send him to the Tour at less than peak fitness just because he's Froome's BFF? I doubt it.

I don't think Porte is a GT winner but he's always ridden in support, so that must be considered. I think he just lacks a bit of top end climbing but he can tt and he rode well yesterday, so let's see.

Hont

Guru
I think you're being a bit harsh there.
I wasn't being harsh. It was not my opinion. His historical results indicate the statement. 6 grand tours, four results outside the top 60. I think he is a fine rider and seems well capable of a GT podium, but history provides little ammunition for this statement.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I wasn't being harsh. It was not my opinion. His historical results indicate the statement.

I disagree. The historical evidence is inconclusive as regards his suitability to lead a team in a Grand Tour. That's my opinion.

I wish I shared your faith in him.

With all due respect, I trust his opinion on this matter more than I trust yours.

thom

____
I wouldn't expect it to be any other way. Beware of blind faith, though. People we respect don't always know what they're doing.
Blind ? I think Brailsford's decision about the team was entirely rational.
One thing people who thought Wiggo should have been included don't recognise, is there was no mention from Brailsford, Wiggins, Porte or Froome of Wiggo being being plan B except if Froome didn't go.

They all have faith in Porte.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Porte is a more viable plan B than Wiggo - and I think he proved that yesterday. He also deserves the chance, given his historical contribution to the team. My sympathy for Wiggo plummeted after the Tour of Switzerland.
Porte has a history of having at least one bad day in a GT, I doubt he will make the podium, especially now after Sky have lost another man

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
wiggins is in too, using it as training for world TT just as martin does, sky cant drop him from the vuelta too surely?

Wiggins is reported as saying he's staying at Sky but won't ride in contention for a GT again. Targetting Paris Roubaix and the hour.

Top Bottom