Small Claims Court

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the length of time that passes between a dispute with another person and submitting the small claims forms?

I was in dispute with someone in Dec 2007, tried to take it to court but it was not considered to be worthwhile at the time as a financial trace returned no assets registered in his name. I could have gone to the small claims, but the limit in Scotland was £750 at the time so I left it.

It seems things have changed up here now and the limit is now £3000, and I suspect his financial situation has changed (unless everything is hidden under the name of someone else).

But am I too late to register the claim?

I'll ring the sheriff's court tomororow but wondering if anyone can shed some light.

Thanks.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think it's 3 years

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't know but it's worth doing - a builder once damaged my motorbike, promised to pay then didn't. I went to the small claims court, won and got all my money back. Court fees gobbled some of it but at least I got the satisfaction of holding him to his word.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Thanks for replies, turns out I'm not too late after all. Forms are on the way, and it seems I can (try to) claim up to the £3000 even though the limit back then was £750.

bonj2

i've notched up two successful suings so far: barclays for a grand over bank charges, and paypal over The Great Breast Pump Fraud. ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
bonj said:
i've notched up two successful suings so far: barclays for a grand over bank charges, and paypal over The Great Breast Pump Fraud. ;)
Don't know what that is, but I bet it sucks! xx(

Top Bottom