Smart Hat designer bemused by critical response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

I’M A BIT PUZZLED BY THE REACTION FROM CYCLISTS, WHEN I’M GOING ‘IT’S A SAFETY DEVICE - IT'S FOR YOUR SAFETY’.

The designer behind the controversial SmartHat, a conceptual helmet that could be fitted with a registration plate, says he’s committed to developing the idea further and is bemused by the response among the cycling community.

Toby King, who launched the design two weeks ago with a presentation to Mosman Council says the idea for the multifunction device, which could also include SatNav, biometrics, and windscreen wipers, spawned in response to discussions in the Sydney newspapers as to whether cyclists should be registered.

“From what I was reading there was a sense of frustrations in the papers,” King told Cycling Central. “Cycling has increased in the city, and it’s become quite an inflammatory issue. I know that Minister (Duncan) Gay’s department is calling for the registration of cyclists, and I decided to put my mind to it.

“I thought, maybe instead of registering bikes, registering helmets would be a better solution.”

King’s contention is that registration would solve potential liability issues that cyclists could have with pedestrians, other cyclists, even pets. The natural market then, he says, is insurance companies who might subsidise the device through their policies.

“My thinking was, here’s something that will improve safety with the same mechanisms and devices of other road users.

jack smith

Veteran
I take it the designer has never cycles in his life and is one of those moronic "i own the road" drivers

Ganymede

Veteran
"King rarely cycles himself in Sydney. He says it’s too dangerous, and that he “honestly prefers vehicles”, but said the device could be a way to encourage people like himself to feel safer on the road."

and

"“It is a safety device,” said King. “It makes other road users understand what cyclists are doing, it allows cyclists to understand what other road users are doing with proximity sensors and mirrors. It can only be a good thing. "

Man's a total twonk.

I mean, come on, proximity sensors on a vehicle which has all-round visibility...? Oh he's a total nitwit.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Does he understand what the primary function of a helmet is meant to be, and if so does he see any problems with his design that might conflict with that function. I guess not!!
We only look straight on though. Hence the registration plate on the rear.
Crowd funding to get his design on the road, so to speak, is ongoing. Estimated cost, excluding smartphone required, is $200 (Australian).
Cheap according to the designer.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The question is... Does he wear one ;)
Not whilst he's driving.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Does he understand what the primary function of a helmet is meant to be, and if so does he see any problems with his design that might conflict with that function. I guess not!!
Designed to allow cyclists to registered, or at least the helmet, as well though!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Designed to allow cyclists to registered, or at least the helmet, as well though!

Top Bottom