Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Manoeuvring between two lanes of traffic, the left lane stopped just as I was checking behind so I didn't realise in time. I clipped a stopped car's wing mirror knocking it off. The impact threw me into the road, ouch.

It was only my second time out on my new Pearson , Now You See Me, which now has a scratched Brooks saddle and leather handlebar tape, and brake hood, ouch.

The old lady in the car was a bit confused so I left my details for her and helped her prop the dangling mirror in through the window. Got the bill today. £280, ouch.

Think I might get some insurance.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Clobbered my hip, hopefully it's just bruised.

Which is the best organisation to join for the insurance in your opinion?

vickster

Legendary Member
Some dude bashed my wing mirror while doing similar...I gave him a right earful as he was trying to ride off...I don't think his English was very good given his bemused look when I asked if he was insured....no damage (was waiting at the lights leaving Cheam Tesco carpark minding my own business)

I clonked a wing mirror while trying to manoeuver into the bike lane on the A24 off the Ewell roundabout - 4x4 was across the lane, made a right racket, apology and driver seemed unperturbed, she even apologised

Tyke

British Cycling Ride membership gives you 3rd party liability, £32 for a year (and legal cover if you get knocked off, Halfords & Wiggle discount etc)

GWS lovely Pearson bike :smile: and hip
+1 for BC it`s worth it for the peace of mind, your covered if you need it and can save more than it costs with the discounts

Luke Redpath

Please do get insurance, either through LCC or British Cycling, you might really need it one day.

A mate of mine got left hooked about 3 weeks ago. He arguably took some of the blame as he was filtering up the left hand side of stationary cars that were indicating left. However his (fair, in my view) assumption was that they were all indicating to turn left at the lights that were currently on red (left turn filter lane). As it turned out, one of the cars was turning into a concealed road and turned left right into him. The car wing mirror was damaged (Mercedes...not going to be cheap!) and he came of his bike and hurt his arm.

When I discussed this with him, I said I felt it was still mostly the drivers fault for not checking her mirrors but regardless, if he'd been a British Cycling member he could have just rung their legal helpline and let them deal with it and any potential claim in any direction. I told him to sign up!

Fast forward to the the weekend just gone...he'd not been paid so hadn't managed to get his membership. Out on a country lane bike ride with work colleagues...doing a fair speed, coming up to a sharp left hander and his brakes failed...despite best efforts he couldn't make the turn and went head first into a car coming the other way on the other side of the road. Over the bonnet, head first into the windscreen and then hit the side of his face on the kerb. All in all, it could have been really, really bad. Was taken to hospital and kept in for numerous scans and fortunately has got away without a concussion or other serious head injury or any broken bones. He's very lucky! Now, hard to call this anybody's fault really...a genuine accident, but if he'd been insured the car he had hit wouldn't have to claim on their insurance and/or potentially take civil action against him, which he is now worried about.

So do get it, please!

Tim Hall

I'm not sure (read "very doubtful") that BC or CTC insurance will pay out for damage committed before the insurance was taken out. Their injury claim setup is a different matter, as it's a conditional fee arrangement (no win no fee).

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Have you checked your household contents insurance. Most of them cover 3rd party. I specifically checked with LV for mine. Premiums are not the cheapest I could get, but it is worth it for that.
Might be a bit late for you either way if she has got a quote and everything.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wing mirrors on modern cars are flippin expensive things. Next car I get will have a button wot I can press so it can retract its wing mirrors before I drive it into the garage. Not that a skilled individual like myself would ever need such a thing ... :whistle:

Top Bottom