Smidsy of a different kind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On riding home tonight, exiting a junction, I looked right, I looked left, didn't see anything, didn't stop, crossed to the right, there was a car on the road coming towards me.
Had just finished a long shift, was preoccupied with tomorrow's work load, my sick cat was on my mind.
Still, no excuse: I looked but did not see the car, a big car with two big front lights, hard to miss you would think.
Fortunately the driver was going slowly or he could have ended badly for me on a bike, and it would have been entirely my fault.
So, there you go, smidsy: if you thought to yourself "bloody cyclist(s)" I can't blame you one bit.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On riding home tonight, exiting a junction, I looked right, I looked left, didn't see anything, didn't stop, crossed to the right, there was a car on the road coming towards me.
Had just finished a long shift, was preoccupied with tomorrow's work load, my sick cat was on my mind.
Still, no excuse: I looked but did not see the car, a big car with two big front lights, hard to miss you would think.
Fortunately the driver was going slowly or he could have ended badly for me on a bike, and it would have been entirely my fault.
So, there you go, smidsy: if you thought to yourself "bloody cyclist(s)" I can't blame you one bit.
Hope you're ok, Pat. And the bike, of course. (Have to worry about the bike because you've posted but the bike hasn't.)

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Hope you're ok, Pat. And the bike, of course. (Have to worry about the bike because you've posted but the bike hasn't.)
I haven't been run over! Did you read the op or just the title? :tongue:
Feeling incredibly lucky, should not have made the mistake I did.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I haven't been run over! Did you read the op or just the title? :tongue:
Feeling incredibly lucky, should not have made the mistake I did.
Yes, I read it, I just wasn't sure whether there had been any contact, even if slow, or not. For what it's worth, I had my own ''reverse SMIDSY'' last week, though not of the Sorry MotorIDSY kind. Car pulls out without looking, stops and promptly reverses into me.

potsy

Rambler
h9105F56D.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've done that and the very nice driver didn't even shake his head at me or beep, when I suddenly realised I'd pulled out in front of him. I still remember it quite clearly though it was ages ago, and I had a cold! We all have off moments and make occasional mistakes.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

True. @summerdays, but what a silly cyclist I was: lesson learned, while cycling the brain need to be fully engaged to the task at hand, sick cat or not!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Yes. I've been impressed by the fact that a front wheel will survive a fair old impact if your point of contact is straight on - let's call it wry tangles. It was when I came off that the spokes got caught up in the tow bar.
Is the driver going to pay to fix your wheel?

RedRider

Pulling through
Yes, I read it, I just wasn't sure whether there had been any contact, even if slow, or not. For what it's worth, I had my own ''reverse SMIDSY'' last week, though not of the Sorry MotorIDSY kind. Car pulls out without looking, stops and promptly reverses into me.
I had one of those a few years back when stopped at some lights. Black cab driver, parked on my side of the road but facing in the other direction starts his motor and reverses into me, nudging my back wheel.
He gets out: 'I didn't see you.
I point at my two rear lights.
'Your bike's black.'
I look at his cab.
He gives me his contact details.
100% true.

Top Bottom