Smout on a bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smout

Hello Folks,

Thought it best to actually say hi in here after my wee post in the Kinross Sportive thread.

TBH this is my OH edindave's home ground and I'm just a runner / potential triathlete joining in the fun
biggrin.gif

Like I say - I'm primarily a runner. Done a few marathons (last one 2 weeks ago today) but more suited to the short stuff maybe (ran a wee fun track mile in 5:51 today). Have tried my hand at a wee triathlon an have one, potentially two later this year
wacko.gif

Back to the cycling - great to do something OH an I can enjoy together an yesterday's Kinross Sportive Red Route was fab if a little nasty weather wise
cold.gif
79 miles in under 5 hours 20 which included 25 minutes of cake stop (I am a bit of a cake monster :tongue:). I'd only ever cycled 31 miles in one go before back in February an my other 12 - 14 miles outings rarely exceed 14mph with no stopping (Garmin claimed 14.88 avg yesterday). All was fine till somewhere between 55 an 65 when I was started to feel it a bit
cry.gif
cursing.gif
but stubborn as I am an with OH's encouragement we managed to keep it going at a respectable speed

I'm a bit rubbish at mechanical stuff an altho I know how to do it I really need to give the tube change some practice! I rely way to much on the OH an the industrial tyres
whistling.gif
on my wee Boardman Hybrid :bicycle:

Now looking forward to the Etape Caledonia an hoping if I invest in some sunglasses I'll actually need them (looking an not buying them this week didn't help)
dirol.gif

Anyways HELLO
wave.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi Smout and :welcome:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome Smout !,when the rest wake up they will let on too and make you feel very welcome :biggrin: I see you are another one from Scotlandshire where that mad one Fran lives :whistle:

fimm

Veteran
Hi Smout!
Another female here.:hello:
I did the Kinross black route on Saturday. It was WET, wasn't it? :rain:

I'm also a triathlete! Which triathlon(s) are you doing? I'd quite like to run a marathon sometime (done a couple of halfs) but the thought of the training puts me off a bit...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
oops missed this one earlier

:welcome: to CycleChat!

Hope to see you on a CC Ecosse ride when we get round to organising one (soon!) ... I suspect you may have had a wee birdy tell you about those rides already :biggrin:

T

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to CC !!

I am getting to the point where i would like to do some organized rides like a sportive but i have no idea where to start , so i will listen with interest !

OP
OP
S

Smout

Phew - was beginning to wonder if id offended you all by being a runner ;)

Thanks for the welcomes!

Sportives - suppose I'm just able to spend time with the OH (an 5 hours+ was a looong time for just the two of us LOL) - convincing him to take up running hasn't really worked (yet :tongue: - altho my unexpected hill climbing ability seems to have him wavering)

Triathlon - I did a come an Tri in Eyemouth at the end of the season last year which was fun. Now learning to front crawl an going to try an get to some open water group swimming before the Pentland Triathletes Solstice Tri and if that goes well there's an outside chance I'll give the Gullane Honey Stinger a bash. The intakes of breath by those who know have me wavering on that one - especially as I've no idea if I'll even make the sea swim cut-off time :ohmy:

Anyways - for now it's try an get out on the bike a wee bit before the Etape an get my running legs ready for the 20 mile Edinburgh to North Berwick race the week before. I am looking forward to the weekend in Pitlochry - just hoping the weather is drier an a wee bit warmer than Kinross was!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Phew - was beginning to wonder if id offended you all by being a runner ;)

Thanks for the welcomes!

Sportives - suppose I'm just able to spend time with the OH (an 5 hours+ was a looong time for just the two of us LOL) - convincing him to take up running hasn't really worked (yet :tongue: - altho my unexpected hill climbing ability seems to have him wavering)

:whistle: Holidays getting in the way of regular CC-ing is my excuse :blush:

I used to run quite a bit during the colder half of the year (as I get cold very easily on the bike), and then switch to cycling during the summer (as I get hot very easily, too, narrow "temperature envelope" :rolleyes: ). It did seem to work and I never had to start from scratch on the change over, but seemed to move between running & cycling quite easily. [Note to self: must start running again in the autumn!]. :thumbsup:

But open-water swimming and the stampede and dunking you see in competitions just looks scary! :ohmy: I've been told there is deliberate leg-pulling as well, by somebody who knows :B).
Fingers crossed for a sunny Etape for all!:sun:

T

fimm

Veteran
Triathlon - I did a come an Tri in Eyemouth at the end of the season last year which was fun. Now learning to front crawl an going to try an get to some open water group swimming before the Pentland Triathletes Solstice Tri and if that goes well there's an outside chance I'll give the Gullane Honey Stinger a bash. The intakes of breath by those who know have me wavering on that one - especially as I've no idea if I'll even make the sea swim cut-off time :ohmy:
That Pentland Triathletes tri looks fun. My boyfriend does some swim coaching for them on a Saturday morning.

Gullane - I've marshalled at Gullane twice (we're members of Edinburgh Triathletes, who organise the race) and I have to confess that the swim is a bit "hilly" for me... I've done a couple of other standard distance tris with lake swims. One year I'll do Gullane! Don't be put off by me, though!

Enjoy Edinburgh - North Berwick. The year my boyfriend did it there was an easterly wind, he wasn't impressed!

OP
OP
S

Smout

Hello!!!
your right 'tis a bit far to whisper
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to E2NB run but just for fun really. Haven't run much lately an stupid cold thing refusing to go away gggrrrr! I did it n 2009 when it was warm an I don't remember much wind in either direction - I'd just found out I was pregnant a few days before so it was a very careful run an I really enjoyed it
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 28
Top Bottom