Snakes, Cats and Bricks...Peak District July 18th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had a lot of fun on the recent Peak District loop ride I ran so who fancies another?

From Glossop incorporating three of the most popular climbs in the area; Snake Pass, Cat & Fiddle and The Brickworks.

Similar mileage and climbing; sixty odd miles, six thousand odd feet of climbing. Proposed route something like this:

Leave Glossop, Snake Pass. Bradwell then Tideswell for a café stop (same café as last time). Around Buxton and up the short side of the Cat and Fiddle. Down to Bollington for another café stop, then up the Brickworks climb. Back via Disley and New Mills to Glossop. Mainly minor roads other than, obviously, the Snake and the Cat but these are nice wide roads which present no problems

Pubby evening in Glossop for those who fancy it (or are allowed out after last time's escapades)

As always, some great scenery, great climbs and descents, great cafes. Climbs are mainly of the longer, shallower variety than the last ride (although there are a couple of shorter sharp climbs too)

We regroup at the top of the climbs, everyone does the climbs at their own pace

Draft route:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8166628

Expressions of Interest
@Martin Archer
@Kestevan
@Bazzer
@BRounsley

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
That cafe stop - is it really at the halfway point this time?
Strava tells me that I did actually (just) meet the 13mph requirement on the last ride, though we must have been absolutely spanking it somewhere along the way because I'm sure I did that last hill at 0.5mph. If you're ok with the pace I was riding then I could go for this again. It also gives me a few weeks to get the training in that I should have done before the last one.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That cafe stop - is it really at the halfway point this time?
Strava tells me that I did actually (just) meet the 13mph requirement on the last ride, though we must have been absolutely spanking it somewhere along the way because I'm sure I did that last hill at 0.5mph. If you're ok with the pace I was riding then I could go for this again. It also gives me a few weeks to get the training in that I should have done before the last one.

Pace was absolutely fine. I couldn't have gone any faster and you don't need to go any faster

I did try to create a slightly flatter route but the only way to do it was to go on busier roads which sort of defeats the objective of the ride. The long and short is if you want a ride in the Peak District that is nice and scenic, it's 100ft climbing per mile

doughnut

Veteran
Oops, sorry. My wife just reminded me we're on holiday so I cant make it. Shame because no doubt it will be another excellent day.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As @doughnut and @Kestevan have already got a stamp in their Peak District ride card I feel I should offer some flexibility (unless of course these holidays and surgery are just excuses)

July 11th? If either of you are OK for that date, we'll go with it. If you're still pretending to be unavailable for that date too, I'll stick with July 18

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Sorry - early July is a bust for me; marshalling for Holmfirth Club Sportive Weekend 4th & 5th, and I'll be riding the Manchester-Blackpool run with Mrs Kes on the 12th.

I'm due in for knee reconstruction sometime around the 18th, but I haven't yet got a final date... so it may drift out to nearer the end of the month (or really bugger things up and be done earlier).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The 11th would be out for me, but provisionally I could do the 18th, if I can get more hills and decent mileages in my legs over the next month.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The 11th would be out for me, but provisionally I could do the 18th, if I can get more hills and decent mileages in my legs over the next month.

Great, I'll stick you on the list. I've made this route as comfortable as possible; there are a couple of short, steep hills but most of the climbing is very much in the category of long drags. A couple of very nice cafes to break up the mileage and the offer of a beer or two when we get back to Glossop to help us rehydrate

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, time to drum up some interest for the ride. I've got 3 possibles/probable but it'd be nice to get a few more

For those feeling it's a bit too hilly let me try to put your mind at rest. There are only 3 of what I would describe as short, sharp shocks...less than 5 minute climbs that are fairly steep. All the other climbing is in the 3%-8% long drag category. We'll regroup at the tops and give everyone a breather

Leave Glossop 0900, couple of very nice café stops along the way. Back to Glossop around 1645. There will be a pub visit after the ride but if folk need to get off that's no problem

@I like Skol .........still in the doghouse?
@rich p ...............you did say you'd do the next one!
@BRounsley ......showing your climbing prowess again?

So if you're up for a relaxed, full day ride in the beautiful Peak District express interest and I'll pop you on the list

Cat and Fiddle
cat-and-fiddle.jpg

Snake Pass
280px-Snake_Pass_-_geograph.org.uk_-_431557.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nicky, I'd have loved to, and I will do one before the summer's out. Unfortunately, I'm booked on the 18th for a 60th birthday cycle with some friends on the Downs Link in Sussex plus grub and booze!
If all else fails, I'll be doing some time in Hartington in the summer and hook up for a ride if it fits.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nicky, I'd have loved to, and I will do one before the summer's out. Unfortunately, I'm booked on the 18th for a 60th birthday cycle with some friends on the Downs Link in Sussex plus grub and booze!
If all else fails, I'll be doing some time in Hartington in the summer and hook up for a ride if it fits.

You sound like a man afraid of either the climbing or the drinking. Which one is it? Or is it both?

Top Bottom