Snakes, Cats and Bricks...Peak District July 18th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just dropped back in to find out the latest news about who is doing the ride and hasn't fallen off, or who isn't doing the ride and has ... :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well I'm doing a longish hilly ride tomorrow so I'll watch out for badgers, cars pulling out on me, alien abductions etc etc
A mate of mine almost got 'badgered' a few years back. He was descending a steep bridleway in the dark when the creature suddenly ran across in front of him, missing his front wheel by inches.

The only badgers that I have seen round here were dead at the roadside.

SteveF

The long and short is if you want a ride in the Peak District that is nice and scenic, it's 100ft climbing per mile

Am aiming to move up that way in a couple of years, I'm going to have to:
a) Get a lot lighter!!
b) Get a lot fitter!!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Did a hard ride on Friday; 57 miles with about 6,000ft of climbing with my friend Wayne (who is coming on the ride). My back was playing up badly on the long climbs, enough to make it unpleasant riding. I laid a new lawn about 3 weeks ago and I think straining it then has caused the problem.

Anyway, this ride is about 66 miles with 6,100ft of climbing (although ridewithgps always seems to understate the climbing compared to my Garmin). Hopefully my back will survive. Just in case, I've plotted an alternative last 20 miles with quite a bit less climbing which would be 66 miles and 5,600ft. This misses out the Brickworks so I'd prefer to do the hillier version as it's a nice climb but we'll see how my back's holding up (and holding everyone up).

So are we meeting at the station? I will drive over and park up somewhere. I may be bringing a friend of mine, but he has to be back quite early and may bail at some point to get back home for about 3pm.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So are we meeting at the station? I will drive over and park up somewhere. I may be bringing a friend of mine, but he has to be back quite early and may bail at some point to get back home for about 3pm.

Yes, meet Glossop Station at 0900. You will probably be able to park in the station car park in front of the station but if not there are plenty of roads nearby with free parking.

I'll plan a shorter route for your friend in case he can't do the full ride. We will probably get back to Glossop about 1600 on the full ride. I can reduce the 66 miles to about 44 miles for him potentially

He is a pretty competent rider and is happy to make his own way back. I have sent him the original course and he will probably edit it himself, if he decides to do the ride.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Suppose I had better show my face in this thread as the day draws closer. I am working on Saturday night so that is me out, even if I would have been allowed to join you after my previous performance xx(.

It's a shame as this kind of ride is just my thing, I like a bit of gentle climbing to get me warmed up :tongue:
I will look forward to the post-ride reports with eager anticipation.....

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Suppose I had better show my face in this thread as the day draws closer. I am working on Saturday night so that is me out, even if I would have been allowed to join you after my previous performance xx(.

It's a shame as this kind of ride is just my thing, I like a bit of gentle climbing to get me warmed up :tongue:
I will look forward to the post-ride reports with eager anticipation.....

You've had 6 weeks and that's the best excuse you can come up with?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Did you come up with a final route?

Yeah, here is the full route. I've changed the last few miles

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8166628

As I said, if I'm struggling with my back then I will take an easier final 15 miles. It meets up with the standard route on Marple. By missing the Brickworks it takes out about 600ft of climbing

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9290925

Managed a hilly 43 miles today with no problems so hopefully I'll be OK. Weather looks reasonable; 17 degrees, sunny intervals, no rain but a bit breezy

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, looks like weather is going to be a breezy SW with a chance of a shower mid afternoon. Luckily the main climbs are either cross wind (Cat and Fiddle) or tail wind (Snake Pass and Brickworks). The last 10 miles are a tailwind too
@Martin Archer @BRounsley see you tomorrow Glossop station 0900.............plus any lurkers who fancy this too. There are several bail out options to reduce this to as little as 36 miles which I can advise on

BRounsley

Über Member
The cat and fiddle with a cross wind is horrible. Good job I’ve only got deep rim wheels!!

But I have to come as I’ve spent the whole day “carb loading”!!!!

Top Bottom