Snakes, Cats and Bricks...Peak District July 18th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have only done the cat and fiddle from Mac and the descent down long hill was awful with a wind from the South, I had to back the speed off as it was getting a bit frightening! Luckily a friend of mine is borrowing my deep section wheels to do the ironman on Sunday, so I will not get blown off the top of the hills!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Great day out in the hills on Saturday with @Martin Archer @BRounsley and a couple of my friends. Bright and breezy weather and ridden at a pace that kept everyone interested but not exhausted. I was official "lantern rouge" for most of the climbs but that was just me being polite so as to let my fellow riders have a recuperative rest at the top of the hills. The things I do for folk

Very nice, fast run over to Ladybower with a strong tailwind. Some nice little back roads around Bradwell and then, the real reason for doing these rides....the first café stop. Tideswell, excellent scone with cream and jam. Made that morning with buttercream and you could tell. Rather sketchy, steep descent on a back road out of Tideswell that had us waiting for Brian (to be fair he has to wait for me going up the hills so it's only fair). Hitting the headwinds now on the run back towards Buxton..

When we got to Buxton there seemed to be a morris dancing competiton on. Loads of traditional troupes (is it a "troup"?) and some of those somewhat politically incorrect blacked up ones too. stopped at the free Buxton water spring for a refill then onto the Cat and Fiddle. In theory, the easy side as you're already 1000ft up in Buxton at the start. In practice, with a 30mph headwind, rather challenging. By the time I got to the top the others were hiding on the leeward side of the C&F pub.

Down the C&F then off to Bollington. Another really nice café. Scrambled egg on wholemeal. In hindsight, with the Brickworks climb immediately after, that was a bit of a mistake. But it tasted great.

Lots of ups and downs, then goodbye to Brian in Disley as he was heading back to Manchester (having ridden from Mcr to Glossop to start the ride!). The wind was starting to become a bit of a tailwind again, hurrah! And we pushed on back to Glossop.

Time for a couple of pints in the Oakwood, then home. All in all a really good day. The climbing felt a bit easier than the last one. I suspect it was the fact that most of the climbs were of the longer more gentle gradient nature. 65 miles all in. Much discussion about how much climbing; different devices suggesting different figures. It was probably about 6,600ft which sounds a lot but the camaraderie and banter on the ride (plus the café stops) meant it felt quite a bit less.

Thanks for sorting the ride out Nick. I enjoyed it, as you say it was a decent ride at a pace that was not killing us, but putting in enough effort to know you had been on a ride. A ride with 1000ft of climbing every 10 miles is always going to be challenging, but there was nothing that was too difficult or too steep, great planning!
The cafe stops were great and it was good of you to recce all the cafes and suffer all those cakes and coffee to find the right ones for us!
I will try and edit the footage I took later on and post a few clips.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm glad for you that the ride went well. When I opened the curtains yesterday morning, I was seriously jealous.
Sadly my newly acquired metal work is going to keep me off my bike for while longer.

IMAG0193_zpscuuiqxob.jpg

Hopefully, next time.
Badger man

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm glad for you that the ride went well. When I opened the curtains yesterday morning, I was seriously jealous.
Sadly my newly acquired metal work is going to keep me off my bike for while longer.

IMAG0193_zpscuuiqxob.jpg

Hopefully, next time.
Badger man

Blimey, what's that lasso thingy?

Fear not. I'd like to keep doing these rides as it lets non-locals experience some fabulous routes they otherwise wouldn't get to see. Hopefully we can build up a group who like this sort of ride.

We did whizz past some sheep at the roadside descending off the Cat and Fiddle which made me think of your badger altercation. Thankfully they see so many cyclists there they weren't spooked at all

Last edited:
Top Bottom