Snapped dropout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmellyBeard

Hi, first ever forum post so please point me in the right direction if this is the wrong place...
Recently had the rear wheel out from my Trek 4700 (hardtail mtb) to change the tire etc, pretty routine and usual for me. Upon starting the next ride I became immediately aware of a clunking noise every time I put any sort of power in at all. Suspected a worn BB so took it into my LBS immediately, who told me it was a broken rear axle. This they could replace for ~£15 and would be done the following day (today).
Anyhow, I received a call this morning saying that whilst stripping the rear wheel down they had "accidentally snapped the rear dropout" - as they have none in stock they've ordered a new one which means they'll have the bike for a few more days - and charge me for the dropout.
My questions are: how did they manage to snap a dropout? Was it a fault of theirs, or just wear/ metal fatigue? I have never ever heard of a snapped dropout before.. Therefore should I just pay for the replacement?
Also, RE the broken axle: how might this have happened? Was it something I did when I took the wheel out, and if so what?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Drago

Legendary Member
The 4700 doesn't have replaceable dropouts? If its broken its a job for a frame builder thena repaint.

Broadside

Guru
Wow, I would have lots of questions in this scenario...

Have they confirmed that the axle is broken AND the dropout has snapped or is it just the dropout?

If the axle is broken and then they have broken the dropout then surely that is their cost to rectify. If the axle is actually fine upon inspection then perhaps the dropout was cracked and the snapped as they were working on it. Lots of questions, you need to have a good chat to them, but if they have broken and otherwise good dropout then they should sort it out at their cost.

OP
OP
S

SmellyBeard

Hi, thanks for the reply, but are you sure about the dropouts? The man from the bike shop told me very clearly this morning that he had ordered a new one for the order of £10, which he would simply replace...

OP
OP
S

SmellyBeard

Thanks for the reply Broadside.. I too was fairly perplexed!
The way the man worded it on the phone made it clear that the axle had broken, and WHILST they were stripping the rear wheel down to get at it, they "accidentally snapped the dropout".. it's that last bit that confuses me. How does that happen?!
Is it common for dropouts, or indeed axles, to wear out and just break? Is there something I might have done to cause it?

Drago

Legendary Member
If the axle has broken its quite possible a dropout has been damaged because the asymmetric load placed upon it, but I'm interested to know how your lbs replaces dropouts?

OP
OP
S

SmellyBeard

The archive of bikes on the Trek website remarks that the 4700 has "Replaceable derailleur hangers". I imagine the lbs intends to replace the replaceable hangers ;)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here's a picture from PinkBike of the 4700 rear dropout. Looks replaceable. For all I know about any mountain bike produced in this millennium.
p4pb2920712.jpg

Top Bottom