Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
76 inches of snow! The most snowfall EVER in a 24-hour period in the US!!
It's only November, and half the U.S. is blanketed in snow—six feet deep and counting in and around Buffalo, New York—while parts of the Deep South have been waking up to temperatures that are just above freezing.

Temperatures are expected to remain well below normal from the Great Plains to the Eastern Seaboard over the next few days, while snow will likely continue downwind of the Great Lakes, according to the National Weather Service.

What's going on? Blame the so-called lake effect, the polar vortex, a kink in the jet stream—and an old super typhoon.

The lake-effect snow comes from west-southwesterly winds of a storm aligning neatly with the lengths of Lakes Erie and Ontario, which sit between the American Midwest and Canada. That alignment is "allowing the air to pick up large amounts of moisture," writes Jeff Masters, director of meteorology at Weather Underground, on his blog.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
@User14044 .... your predictions for the NE came true...

KneesUp

Guru
OH SH*T HERE COMES GLOBAL WARMING!
Of course you know that the phrase 'Global Warming' refers to average temperatures across the globe over a year. And that warmer bits in one part of the earth can have effects elsewhere.

So yeah - this change in pattern may well be because of Global Warming.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
God sorry it was a joke... I bet your fun at dinner party's.

Do people still have dinner parties? With the noble exception of "Come Dine with Me" I thought they died out years ago. All sounds a bit "Margot and Jerry" to me

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
So, on the back of this, The Daily Express will be warning of blizzards, freezing Arctic temperatures and ice sheets for the UK for the next 6 months - or have they already done do?! ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last night I dug out the old hardtail mountain bike for a look at the creaky cassette and the seized Hope Mini brakes. Looks like I need a new freehub and refurbished brakes - not too late for the snow I hope.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I found this live webcam in Buffalo and its been fun watching the snow pile up this week. Disappointingly, no one has used the bike stand yet.:sad:. Looks like Thursday night is bin night in Buffalo.

Looks like its not snowing there now, but it is a bit, down the road in Rochester.

Top Bottom