1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, this Ditchling Beacon...

Discussion in 'Touring and Expedition' started by HeyWayne, 25 May 2010.

1. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

Is it as bad as they say?

2. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Nah. It's quite nice really. The views are spectacular. :smile:

3. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

Any ideas on the gradient?

4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

it's approx 10% average.

5. Crankarm

Crankarm Veteran

You'll easily get up it on a 53x25 gear or for comfort go for a 39x25 :smile:. Anyway it's not the going up that is the difficult bit, it's going down the other side. Make sure your brakes work. They will get hot!!!

6. theclaud

Not if you don't touch 'em :smile:

Hebe likes this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I think DB's reputation far outstrips how it actually is. It's really not that hard a climb. Easy to spin up in less then 10 minutes. Only thing that can be a pain is cars, as it's quite narrow in parts. On the FNRttC Martlets Brighton ride, there were a good few novice riders who did it easy enough bless' em.

8. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Guru

and the humpy-ness of the climb can make getting a rhythm quite hard

9. theclaud

Exactly. It never gets ridiculously steep, but it certainly goes on a bit. On the plus side, it winds around a bit so you never have to see the whole climb stretched out ahead of you. And it shelters you if there's a southerly...

10. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

I'm 18st and 6ft 7 on a ruddy great mountin boik - there's a lot to lug up that hill and I haven't been cycling for ages.

Worried me about t'other side now - maybe I should upgrade my v-brakes after all...

11. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

Question is, do I stay in the saddle and just drop it down into 1st/2nd and slug it out - or use my weight to help me up?

I think I know the answer...

12. theclaud

On an mtb I'd definitely make use of the granny ring and stay in the saddle...

13. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

Am I right in thinking that the main difference between MTB's and road bikes is the gearing (other than the obvious appearance and weight). So a MTB is more suited (easier) to the novice hill climber?

14. theclaud

An mtb isn't really better for anything involving mainly tarmac, unless the gradient is utterly absurd, but the extra-low gearing is a decent trade-off. Bar-ends help on long climbs - have you got those?

15. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

Indeedy I have. Ordered myself some semi slick/hybrid tyres (hopefully in the right size) too and have padded shorts winging their way to me.

By better I of course meant more suited - to hill climbing for heavy set novice cyclerists. :smile:

16. dodgy

dodgy Über Member

It has a reputation mainly because of the amount of novices who tackle it on the London to Brighton ride (and good on them for it), these same novices go on to regail their friends of what a brute it was.
    It really does pale into insignificance when compared with other climbs in the UK.
    But as a test for a novice, it's a great climb.

17. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

I'm well within the 'novice' camp - used to do quite a bit of gentle single track back in the day (5-6 years ago) but haven't been on my bike for a long time. Nothing more than the odd weekend to Centre Parcs or the occasional trip down to my allotment.

Going to definitely give it a shot though.

18. theclaud

All sounds pretty sensible. Pump the tyres up hard, and don't do it in the full midday sun...

19. Alan Whicker

Alan Whicker Well-Known Member

What's a tandem for five people called? I saw one of those make it to the top of the Beacon. I think the riders were local Scouts. I pushed my bike up.

20. HeyWayne

HeyWayne New Member

I'm pretty sure they don't allow tandems now - I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.