So what sort of rides do folk want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
punctures.jpg

The shortest version of my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop is only 29 miles but the hills make it quite challenging.
Kudos for the name.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Reminds me of one of my worst experiences, on a very early group ride.

If it's any comfort, the greatest brains and fastest fingers in The Fridays' formidable tech team are, to a man, utterly ham-fisted with a SRAM powerlink.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm attracted to rides for many reasons, some of which are easier to put a finger on than others. If someone arranges words thoughtfully, it strikes me that she might do similarly with places, or people, or lines on a map. Which is as much as to say that I will be interested in coming on your ride if I like the cut of your jib.

I am an essentially shy person who likes people. Beer and bicycles are my preferred self-medication. Either will do, but both is ideal. I like cake, but am not quite as interested in it as some people seem to be.

The narrative is important, and it begins with the title. I don't like soap operas, so I tend not to be drawn to rides, or threads, whose form keeps them alive long after they have been emptied of content. @iLB won me over instantly with a title. London Beer & Bridges Ride has four selling points in five words. The Friday Night Ride to the Coast was an idea that enchanted me long before I got round to doing the ride itself.

Rides don't have to start at Hyde Park Corner, The Wales Millennium Centre or York Minster, but they really should never start at the McDonalds car park in Briton Ferry. And I say that with the greatest affection for Swansea CTC.

I like the abdication of responsibility. I do a lot of exploratory riding on my own, equipped with Landrangers, and I tend to be the person who knows where we are and which way we are going next when riding with friends on my home turf. It is a great pleasure to show up with none of this responsibility, not necessarily knowing anything at all, and place myself in someone else's hands (this is related to the cut of jib thing above).

I'm a brisk rider judged by the pace of leisure cyclists, and a slow one judged by that of anyone with a training regime. I like to be pushed a little by faster riders, and obliged to take it easier by slower ones. A little bit of give and take on all sides, and a ride can comfortably accommodate a wide range of paces. Things that help this are a generous schedule, proper lunch stops, bailout options, a decent navigation system (the best, of course, is The Fridays' rolling waymarker/TEC combo) and well-thought out regrouping points. A large group waiting for the slowest rider at the top of every incline is going to make him feel rushed; whereas a stretch where everyone can ride at their own pace for five miles, then regroup and chat for a few minutes somewhere with a nice view or a chance to nip into a shop and buy a flapjack, will make everyone happier.

If you want particular people on your ride, invite them directly. Stating that no-one gets left behind is nice, but it isn't an invitation, and it won't allay the fears of someone who imagines they are holding everyone up, or fears that they won't fit in some other way. It's nice to be wanted.

Last edited:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm attracted to rides for many reasons... The narrative is important...
↑.

More kudos for the writeup.

4) Post-ride social
I do sometimes wonder how important this is to most people. For me, the ride itself is enough; once it loses all momentum I start remembering how shy I am and tend to go into wallflower mode. Good thing there are enough people who like to talk for those of us who like to listen.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

I enjoy new rides and would certainly do some within a reasonable distance of home, I'd also consider an overnight/weekend jaunt. The problem for me is I work the vast majority of Saturdays so it would really need to be on a Sunday (or fall on one of the 1 in 6 Saturdays I have off, and then I'd have to be free and not have plans with the family).

40-50 miles isn't worth doing unless it's close to home, 60+ on a hilly ride or 80+ on a flatter ride is needed to really make it worth travelling. I'm not bothered about pace, I'm happy to ride at a slower pace with a group of mixed abilities, not leave anyone and enjoy the ride. Obviously if you have a 100 miler in front of you then averaging 9mph isn't good, so there has to be a little bit of common sense too when you join/organise a ride.

fimm

Veteran
The "CC Ecosse" people seem to manage to get a reasonable turnout for their rides (caveat, I've never actually been out with them yet...)
Maybe ask them what they are doing right?
The "rules" are: any kind of bike will do, no one gets left behind, there will be CAKE.

Fubar

Guru
I did tentatively make this suggestion on the CC Ecosse Tour Possibilities thread:

Here's a thought that has been formulating in my head for 2016 - jumping the gun a bit, I know. How about an RV ride involving the good people of CC Ecosse and those fine North of England types?

Let me explain: We pick a nice location to visit, i.e. Northumberland, Durham, Lake District, Peaks, etc; we find out how many are interested; we book accommodation; we head there for a weekend from our relative locations; we meet-up with the Northerner CC'ers; we make merry! Other CC'ers would be welcome to join us either for the day or the whole weekend - locals could organise rides to "show us the sights".

Probably close to the border makes sense, so you could cycle there/back in a day and have the whole weekend.

Can be discussed further on this years' tour - just thought I'd put it out there for thoughts, suggestions, poo-pooing, etc.

This thread seems as good a one as any to expand it to a wider audience...

Fubar

Guru
The "CC Ecosse" people seem to manage to get a reasonable turnout for their rides (caveat, I've never actually been out with them yet...)
Maybe ask them what they are doing right?
The "rules" are: any kind of bike will do, no one gets left behind, there will be CAKE.

I think the key (as a wise man once told me) is just to create a ride that YOU want to do, on a date that suits you and post it up - then people are either in or they are out.

I've been on CCE rides where there were 3 of us, and I've been on CCE rides where there were 33 of us.

I keep my eye on the Arran rides but either I'm not fit enough or the times don't suit. I last cycled around in 1993, so I'm overdue going back for the full round.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did tentatively make this suggestion on the CC Ecosse Tour Possibilities thread:

This thread seems as good a one as any to expand it to a wider audience...

I very much like this idea. Again I suspect it would be popular as it will be more than just the ride. There is a sense of adventure and making it a weekend means there will be plenty of time for being sociable off the bike.
If you came down this way-ish I'd be more than happy to show you the Peak District sights (I may be able to find a few flat miles too)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think the key (as a wise man once told me) is just to create a ride that YOU want to do, on a date that suits you and post it up - then people are either in or they are out.

I've been on CCE rides where there were 3 of us, and I've been on CCE rides where there were 33 of us.

I think the problem is that some folk are planning rides and virtually nobody is turning up and they're losing the motivation to plan more rides. So there is obviously a dislocation between the rides being planned and the type of rides people want to join.

So this thread is to hopefully get a feeling for the type of rides that aren't happening that maybe should be happening

The posts on this thread are quite wide-ranging but there do seem to be quite a few that consider the planned rides to be too far/too fast and they worry about being able to keep up.

So in principle, if there was a 30-40 mile loop ride Cheshire lanes, starting and finishing at somewhere easy to get to and with nice cafes and/or pubs I wonder if that hits the spot? These gentle rides don't get planned on CC, rides are always long or hilly....or long and hilly

Top Bottom