So what sort of rides do folk want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I very much like this idea. Again I suspect it would be popular as it will be more than just the ride. There is a sense of adventure and making it a weekend means there will be plenty of time for being sociable off the bike.
If you came down this way-ish I'd be more than happy to show you the Peak District sights (I may be able to find a few flat miles too)

I'm vaguely familiar with the Peaks (to visit, not cycle) as Mrs Fu is born and bred Chapel en le Frith. Winnats is on my "to do" list.

Only slight issue is it's 300 miles away so at best a 2-day ride there and back. However that's not to discount it completely - a train ride somewhere then cycle for the weekend would work, and it would be more central for the (pretend ;)) North contingent to converge on.

Fubar

Guru
I think the problem is that some folk are planning rides and virtually nobody is turning up and they're losing the motivation to plan more rides. So there is obviously a dislocation between the rides being planned and the type of rides people want to join.

So this thread is to hopefully get a feeling for the type of rides that aren't happening that maybe should be happening

The posts on this thread are quite wide-ranging but there do seem to be quite a few that consider the planned rides to be too far/too fast and they worry about being able to keep up.

So in principle, if there was a 30-40 mile loop ride Cheshire lanes, starting and finishing at somewhere easy to get to and with nice cafes and/or pubs I wonder if that hits the spot? These gentle rides don't get planned on CC, rides are always long or hilly....or long and hilly

That's probably a good point, which is essentially what clubs do with Bun Runs - but not everyone wants to join a club or go at the speed they go at. A 30-40 miler also gives stonger riders the option to ride to the start, do the mileage and ride home again to extend their distance - so long as there is a proviso of "no-one gets left behind" there shouldn't be a problem.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
That is something that's not really been mentioned, the FNRttC runs are no drop, no one gets left behind affairs. Those who want faster rides can volunteer to waymark (meaning they are standing still for a while, then zipping back to the front to stands still some more, and can do the Saturday morning ride home at a much faster pace and upping the distance if the original was a bit under for you. It really does give the best of all worlds in one package.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think the problem is that some folk are planning rides and virtually nobody is turning up and they're losing the motivation to plan more rides. So there is obviously a dislocation between the rides being planned and the type of rides people want to join.

Or you plan rides, lots of people turn up and some individuals do nothing but moan for various reasons. Which makes you think, well bugger 'em, I'm not going to organize anymore. Even though it was spelt out quite clearly from the start at how the rides were to be, how fast and where they were going.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That is something that's not really been mentioned, the FNRttC runs are no drop, no one gets left behind affairs. Those who want faster rides can volunteer to waymark (meaning they are standing still for a while, then zipping back to the front to stands still some more, and can do the Saturday morning ride home at a much faster pace and upping the distance if the original was a bit under for you. It really does give the best of all worlds in one package.

Yeah, I like the idea of a fast ride in the morning to get to some start point, then a more gentle conversational ride in the afternoon. They a bit of a sesh. Public transport home. Sorted.

So who's gonna organise one? I'm already doing a ride so it's definitely not my turn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah, I like the idea of a fast ride in the morning to get to some start point, then a more gentle conversational ride in the afternoon. They a bit of a sesh. Public transport home. Sorted.

So who's gonna organise one? I'm already doing a ride so it's definitely not my turn.

It's the other way round.
The Friday Night Rides were at a pretty slow pace, the Saturday morning rides back to home were quicker affairs.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's the other way round.
The Friday Night Rides were at a pretty slow pace, the Saturday morning rides back to home were quicker affairs.

It could be run that way around; conversational pace in the morning followed by a faster afternoon ride for those who fancy it. I'll leave whoever organises the ride(s) to decide what's best for a daytime ride

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FWIW I think much of it comes down to personal abilities; - whether believed or perceived.
As a lone cyclist my measure is what I have done before and the cycling I have undertaken recently. And I wouldn't want to embarass myself, nor uncessarily hold up a group on a ride I wasn't ready for. - Having been on some rides, (not CC ones), where there were riders who were clearly "out of their depth"
Did they drown? If not, then they weren't out of their depth IMO :smile: I'm only an infrequent organiser/wayfinder for my local freewheelers but I feel overcoming that attitude is probably the biggest challenge we face. When we put "all welcome", "no rider left behind" or something like that, we mean it and we're not going to ride along hurling abuse about the low speed or pushing people to go faster than they're comfortable with or stuff like that.

Why worry about embarrassment? We all started somewhere. It's not holding us up - it's quite rare that I won't welcome a chance to stand around and look at the landscape while we regroup and then allow the last riders to have a breather. The recumbent riders usually like a pause after a climb, too. I can only think of two rides where my local group needs to arrive by anything like a deadline (start of someone else's event) and 7mph would be enough to meet it - and we can often take a shortcut if needed, instead of the usual prettier routes.

About mechanicals: there's usually been at least two of us out of the six most-frequent riders who carry pretty full toolkits - and first-aid kits, come to that. Many punctures, some snapped cables and at least one buckled wheel have been fixed on our rides - not always by the afflicted riders.

I know there are a few nobber groups that advertise "no drop" but still go like bats out of hell, but I think you can now spot them pretty easily if you look at their past ride feedback (on facebook or RideSocial or whatever they use) and it contains either people complaining they got dropped or gushing about how wonderful it was to be pushed to average 20mph.
As it happens, I'd have joined @ColinJ 's June ride, but for helping run a snorkelling club on a Saturday. Sunday would have been better for me, but it seems from posts elsewhere, that Sundays are not a good day for others.
Yes, the usual problems with Sundays are public transport starts late and is less frequent; there are fewer and fewer country lunch stops that haven't gone all roast dinner; and shops are open shorter hours (or not at all) for buying more food/drink. However, Sundays have less other commitments for many non-church-goers, so about half of the rides are still on Sundays (about half on Saturdays and the third half are on Thursday or Monday evenings).
I've always found riding with others of similar ability the most rewarding (or ideally with those slightly quicker).
Good for you, but I haven't... I like being able to have a chat... and to breathe :laugh: I'd also note that I found a friendly group ride (not mine) where we basically agreed to do 14mph (actually, just agreed to ride quicker than usual - the speed wasn't known until after) was more enjoyable than a group that did 11/12mph where people were being verbally encouraged into it.
Most of us probably have Garmins, Cateyes etc. and will have a good idea of our own pace over distance. It would seem straightforward to have 2 or 3 groups based on average speed.
Very few new-to-group riders seem to have measured their speed, or at least few tell us it. I'm happy if riders want to form faster groups and see us at the halfway, but my hands are usually full wayfinding or tail-ending the no-drop group, so it's up to them.

Going back to the top: can we do anything to reassure people that no-drop means no-drop and there's no shame in riding along next to the tail-ender, to attract people out to ride? There are fabulous routes which I would probably never have discovered on my own.

Lisat

I've did 2 night rides from this forum last year and both were really enjoyable. I had hoped to do a couple more this year but injury, holidays and work stuff have got in the way so far.
I went on both of these rides as they were easily accessible by public transport. That would probably be what would attract me to any other rides. I would be interested in group rides in SW or S.

BRounsley

Über Member
I’ve never organised a CC ride, attended a few of Nicks (all great), but I’ve organised a fair few rides independent to CC over the years.

Some complex point to point multi day ride, with bag drops, van stops, the works. Many hours of planning. My pool of attendees are a very mixed ability bunch.

What I’ve learnt is any ride over 5 people there’s a good chance it’s going to fragment into groups. I see this as a good thing with a mixed ability group. Riding with 4 people of similar ability is more enjoyable and just as social as trying to hang on the back of a group of 20. You regroup at the stops and if anything goes wrong and your group can’t solve it you use your phone (But once you’re past flats and snapped chains not much a multi tool can sort…it’s taxi time).

On mixed ability rides I try to include bailout point (shortcuts) for the weaker riders and send the stronger riders on detours up hills etc.

All sounds straightforward but unfortunately in this age of super connectivity people turn up with no form of navigation. Not even a paper map. Most smart phones are good enough and with a £10 external battery your gps can last all day. You can fully waterproof your setup by putting it in a freezer bag….£10 upfront coast and a freezer bag yet still people arrive with nothing and expecting the other riders to point the way. You wouldn’t turn up without a puncture repair kit!

As an organiser of a ride you feel a duty of care to these people. It can ruin the ride.

Ok rant over back on topic.

The nearer to Manchester (my house) the better.

I’m looking for challenge, hills, distance or both.

Point to point ride can be more satisfying but a circular ride just makes life easy and I like sleeping in my own bed.

I like quite back roads.

I’d like to avoid last weekend’s terror decent, I nearly wore my shoes out let alone my brakes!!!!

Post ride beers.

I’m also looking to meet likeminded local people that could lead to more informal rides.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, yes they do :laugh: Not that I care, as I'm usually carrying a fairly complete mini toolkit because it's a blooming long walk home :laugh:
Yes, I've known this too.

I would be ok with someone having rushed out of the house and forgotten something, or perhaps having a dried-up tube of adhesive in a puncture kit, but the unequipped people who attempted to justify that by saying that they 'never get punctures' or that it doesn't matter because they can always phone their partner for a lift home if they get a puncture ... Ok then, phone your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend and tell them to drop what they are doing and drive 50 miles to get you because you are too bloody irresponsible to look after yourself. PS There is no phone signal in this valley and you have a 6 mile walk to the nearest call box! :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If a person turns out for a group ride, with a designated 'leader' and a description that says 'no one gets left behind', I really don't see why this is so outrageous. Of course if you set yourself up as leader of such a group ride you would have a duty of care, otherwise why not just set off on your own and let the devil take the hindmost?
+1. If you're ride leader, duty of care is your job (well, it's every rider's job, really, but the buck stops with you). End of story. If people turn up with no map or GPS, well that's because they (quite rightly) expect someone to know the way, and they shouldn't have to. Myself and all the ride leaders I know check out their routes properly first, and even if we dish out GPXs you cannot and should not rely on them, or expect anyone else to. If anyone thinks that having someone without an OS map/Garmin/other GPS with them is going to ruin the ride for them or anyone, then they need to get a life, or join some boring chain gang or other.

Top Bottom