So would you tell her? (a 20 year lie)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

slowwww

Veteran
Thanks all.
The OP was intended to be rather more flippant and whimsical than has been interpreted. Our daughter's happiness and roundedness is paramount, and as she's a summer baby (barely a month from being in the following school year) we're immensely proud that she's in the top stream for everything at school.

I guess this was intended to be a 'be sure your sins will find you out' type salutary warning, but also that the 'apples don't fall too far from the tree'.

Oh, and a quick word just now with my beloved confirms what I suspected; I was busted approx 19.5 years ago but by then she'd decided that I'd do anyway!

ayceejay

Guru
Did you pay the dowry when you married, if so then everything else is her fault so MTFU and remind her of her position. As for the sprog - she's ten years old you say and she hasn't got a job yet - sheesh.

SATS are a DfE measure of progress. So far as I am aware nothing hinges on them except possibly the sets your daughter will initially be placed in at high school.
Fess up for the common good. Your daughter has your genes. What would have worked for you and apply it.
Thanks all.
The OP was intended to be rather more flippant and whimsical than has been interpreted. Our daughter's happiness and roundedness is paramount, and as she's a summer baby (barely a month from being in the following school year) we're immensely proud that she's in the top stream for everything at school.

I guess this was intended to be a 'be sure your sins will find you out' type salutary warning, but also that the 'apples don't fall too far from the tree'.

Oh, and a quick word just now with my beloved confirms what I suspected; I was busted approx 19.5 years ago but by then she'd decided that I'd do anyway!
My daughter is similarly a summer child, her birthday is during the summer holidays. The SATS for her were waaay off, she has done much better than predicted grades in everything at secondary school, but despite her doing GCSE at the moment they are still being referred back to as predicted targets or somesuch. Seems very odd to me.
I was fortunate having done GCE and grades being based on a final test, no coursework, as I was a lazy git but could do exams. Fortunately my daughter is more like her Mum.

As for telling your wife, busted maybe, but I doubt she was that interested in your paper qualifications, theres far more important stuff than that. Bluntly, you've got into her knickers at least once - I doubt her MBA played much part in it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My birthday is the last week in August + I had 2 friends born on 30th August: we all started primary school together at Christmas to give us a bit longer to settle in - never thought about it at the time.

@slowwww your daughter is intelligent but probably bored, she has not yet found what interests her. Could it be your entreaties and warnings about the future mean nothing to her? She does not see and is not interested in your perspective of the future. She is a child, let her be, she'll find her way.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't worry about her Sats levels etc. mine have had differing results and then gone on to work in secondary school at different rates, so no 1- bright and didn't need to try too hard but did a bit in secondary school when with other bright kids, no 2 - not so bright but harder working though stresses about things, no 3- typical could put in more effort but is happy with their lot and seems to cruise at their level without wanting to be at the top.

SATS levels were different for all, and yet GCSE's were 1* and 1 grade different for the first two, though I'm assuming the A level grades will be more dissimilar. I recognise bits of my attitude in them but I think they work harder than I did!

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
My 10 year old daughter has her SATs coming up in a few weeks and the results will have a significant bearing of where she's placed at secondary school and so ultimately her career prospects (yeah, yeah, usual middle-class angst!).

She's a bright, lovely girl, but we're struggling to get her to apply herself to practice despite various entreaties and comments about possible dire future consequences.

This is particularly puzzling to my wife as she is incredibly bright with 2 x MAs, an MBA and various other professional and musical qualifications.

The thing is, this is rather less of a surprise to me. When I first met my wife 20 years ago I was rather dazzled by her intellect as well as her beauty, and I may have slightly (ahem!) overstated my academic achievements as I did not wish to appear a numpty. I've always carried this off because through hard graft I've had a good career and well paid jobs.
However, when I see how my daughter is behaving I have a distinct sense of déjà vu. There's even direct parallel's between her school reports and mine - intelligent, but lazy.

I think it's fess-up time, or is it that my wife has long-since sussed me but is too kind to tell me??
This has all the right ingredients for a Tuesday night BBC2 situation comedy

Top Bottom