Social media forces cyclist-doorer to fess up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

To be fair the guy has no way to tell if anyone is coming. If he was sat in the front he'd have a mirror to use, but in the backseat it's almost impossible to tell. Personally I wouldn't ride on the inside on that cycle lane. But that's not excusing the attitude he showed afterwards. If anyone should pay it should be the council for creating such a pathetic cycle lane

What about looking out the big see-thru thing in the back of the taxi, think its called a window:smile:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I liked her reaction to where Melbourne is!
"Melbourne... er, Melbourne....???....Australia!"
Actually she says "Melbourne, Victoria"

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Taxi draws up at kerb, taxi driver says we're here... you're not familiar with where you are because you're in a taxi, so you hastily open the door to get out because you do that in taxis, you wouldn't even think to look behind you before getting out on the kerbside.... if anyone is at fault it's the taxi driver, after all he knows where he is and has the mirrors to look to check there isn't a cyclist there- he should have shouted a warning... careful there may be a cyclist, wait a minute....

The passengers' initial reaction was odd though, most people would be horrified and check someone on the ground was OK and apologise even if it wasn't necessarily their fault... after the initial shock they just showed ignorance and deserve the stigma.

The cyclists should never have ridden up the inside of a taxi stopping at the kerb, it's an idiotic thing to do... OK there's a foot wide 'cycle lane' there but that doesn't give her automatic rights over something in front of her... she could hardly get through the gap so she should've gone round it would have been safer and sensible.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
its not a cycle lane if you read the newsreports and the green party and transport ministers quotes.

I would probably have ridden it but covered the brakes. and then chinned them .
Even if it was properly signed according to our road rules, it would still be fairly impractical to use safely, and would thus give any cyclist ample justification to use the lane next to it. Of course, that has its drawbacks too, such as being stuck behind slow-moving cars and breathing in the cr#p that some cars spew out of their exhaust pipes. Collins St, Melbourne definitely isn't very cyclist-friendly.

Hotchilidamo

Wow a lot of hostility to my comment there. If you stop one second and look at it from a taxi passenger's perspective, he probably hasn't been paying attention to the road markings, he's probably been busy talking to colleagues in the back of the cab, the cabbie says you may as well get out here guys the traffic is bad, he opens the door. Its a fairly innocent mistake if you put yourself in the his shoes. Sure he should have looked but I can understand why he didn't and I don't think that should be so hard for anyone to see.

His actions after the event are not good and I'm not defending that

A bit worrying you guys can only see one perspective here and not the whole picture

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Wow a lot of hostility to my comment there. If you stop one second and look at it from a taxi passenger's perspective, he probably hasn't been paying attention to the road markings, he's probably been busy talking to colleagues in the back of the cab, the cabbie says you may as well get out here guys the traffic is bad, he opens the door. Its a fairly innocent mistake if you put yourself in the his shoes. Sure he should have looked but I can understand why he didn't and I don't think that should be so hard for anyone to see.

His actions after the event are not good and I'm not defending that

A bit worrying you guys can only see one perspective here and not the whole picture

It's the responsibility of anyone opening a car door to check that it's safe.

sazzaa

I'm wondering if the taxi should have stopped closer to the kerb to let people out? As in, waited until it was clear then dropped passengers off safely instead of dumping them in the middle of the road? Yes he'd be blocking whatever that lane is supposed to be, but surely it's the safer option?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 2985027, member: 259"]There's absolutely no way I'd have ridden up a tiny narrow gap between the kerb and a taxi that was indicating and halting, [/QUOTE]

I don't see the taxi indicating, and it remains out in the line of traffic queuing for the lights.

GC

algo

Regular
the man now appears mildly apologetic, no doubt devastated that this bit of media attention accidentally publicised his business... aside from any issues about who exactly is to blame, I really think the cyclist in question was very calm. Perhaps Mr Hunter would like to show how calm he is after falling off a bike?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is a big difference between making a mistake and being rude.

She made a mistake. Even if that is a cycle path I would not have gone through that gap. The taxi driver made a big mistake. If he had done that in the UK he would be possibly committing an offence, if there was injury or damage. The guys were just arxeholes.

How could it have been avoided? Simple by the taxi driver pulling right over to the kerb and blocking the alleged cycle path...shock...horror.

It is common and accepted practice when coming up to lights in Denmark. The cars pull over to the right and it stops cyclists sneaking down the Inside. It sounds bad but works well. In 11 years I have not seen any cyclists complain about it.

But she had a great attitude. If it had been a guy it would have been swearing and punches...well this man anyway.

Ride like a woman.

Steve

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
the man now appears mildly apologetic, no doubt devastated that this bit of media attention accidentally publicised his business... aside from any issues about who exactly is to blame, I really think the cyclist in question was very calm. Perhaps Mr Hunter would like to show how calm he is after falling off a bike?

Don't be daft, you can see he hasn't been on a bike, he has the physique of a telly tubby.

To be frank, I've got the opinion it's not worth talking to twunts like that. All three needed d-locking !

Reactions: 4F

Colin B

Just my 2 cents but I think all taxis should be fitted with passenger doors auto locking and the driver should unlock and allow passengers to exit when he feels its safe . He has the advantage of mirrors to view the rear . Not saying this passenger wasn't an arse but it could eliminate some dooring accidents

Top Bottom