Social media forces cyclist-doorer to fess up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Wow a lot of hostility to my comment there. If you stop one second and look at it from a taxi passenger's perspective, he probably hasn't been paying attention to the road markings, he's probably been busy talking to colleagues in the back of the cab, the cabbie says you may as well get out here guys the traffic is bad, he opens the door. Its a fairly innocent mistake if you put yourself in the his shoes. Sure he should have looked but I can understand why he didn't and I don't think that should be so hard for anyone to see.

His actions after the event are not good and I'm not defending that

A bit worrying you guys can only see one perspective here and not the whole picture

Not hard to do a shoulder check before exiting a vehicle. my dad taught me to do that when i was about 6 or 7 and my 6 yr old looks before he opens. I still shoulder check whatever vehicle I am in and am far from Mr Perfect.

that said his actions afterwards are a good example of how not to behave

Tim Hall

Top tip: Open the car door with your inboard hand (left hand on a right door, right hand on a left door). You'll have to turn in your seat to do it and end up looking behind you/into the eyes of the cyclist you're about to door. Spread the word.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
the man now appears mildly apologetic, no doubt devastated that this bit of media attention accidentally publicised his business... aside from any issues about who exactly is to blame, I really think the cyclist in question was very calm. Perhaps Mr Hunter would like to show how calm he is after falling off a bike?

What a deluded and uncaring oaf that man is. He doesn't remotely apologise for dooring her, only for his attitude afterwards.

Listen to what he says:
"I reacted very badly afterwards, she got my back up. The thing I did wrong was how I reacted afterwards, for that I apologise.
She definitely came on very aggressive. Probably I don't blame her, she's fallen off her bike, but there was no need for the aggression that she showed."

Every part of that is blaming the victim and refusing to take any responsibilty.

I know a AUS$350 fine will be small change to this millionaire however he should be left in no doubt that he was in the wrong. I'd have insisted on the police issuing the ticket.

GC

sazzaa

Any half decent parent teaches their kid to always check behind before getting out of a car - I don't know why anyone wouldn't?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Any half decent parent teaches their kid to always check behind before getting out of a car - I don't know why anyone wouldn't?
Careful%20Now.jpg

Colin B

If they're young then that's fine, but I presume at some point you'll be encouraging them to check rather than rely on you checking for them?
They do check but when it comes to exiting through possible dangers I use the advantages I have is mirrors I also exit the car before them so have good 360 vision . I will admit that I am relaxing this on the eldest who's 16 now but the 10 year old can be dippy at times even though she's a smart kid in other ways . IMHO I'm the driver and everything is my responsibility including my passengers I've even been know to tell grown adults to wait until I've checked its clear lol

sazzaa

They do check but when it comes to exiting through possible dangers I use the advantages I have is mirrors I also exit the car before them so have good 360 vision . I will admit that I am relaxing this on the eldest who's 16 now but the 10 year old can be dippy at times even though she's a smart kid in other ways . IMHO I'm the driver and everything is my responsibility including my passengers I've even been know to tell grown adults to wait until I've checked its clear lol
Holy shoot, 10 and 16 and you're treating them like toddlers? The mind boggles.

Colin B

Holy s***, 10 and 16 and you're treating them like toddlers? The mind boggles.
I don't read think your qualified to assume that just because I take extra precautions as regards exiting a car that I treat my children like toddlers . As I said I've even told adults to wait before now when I've been in a car and at the end of the day my car my rules simple as that or walk if I'm too strict there's an option

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Big difference between exiting on the road side and exiting onto the pavement... besides, what happened to our usual sensible advice to cyclists to keep clear of door swings? ...just because there is a line on the road between the kerb and the taxi doesn't give her carte blanch to ignore the obvious and immediate danger of someone getting out... this is getting out of proportion- the cyclist shouldn't have put herself in that position.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Big difference between exiting on the road side and exiting onto the pavement... besides, what happened to our usual sensible advice to cyclists to keep clear of door swings? ...just because there is a line on the road between the kerb and the taxi doesn't give her carte blanch to ignore the obvious and immediate danger of someone getting out... this is getting out of proportion- the cyclist shouldn't have put herself in that position.

Sorry Archie_tect, I disagree.

It's a situation that calls for attention by everyone but, as was pointed out unequivocally by the planning minister and the police, she was doing nothing wrong by riding where she did. Indeed, from what I've read of cycling in Australia, cyclists are expected to ride where she was.

The reporter sums it up thus:
"This is a lesson to all motorists and passengers: cyclists are well within their rights to ride between the kerb and the traffic whether that traffic is moving or stopped."

GC

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Cyclists should look ahead and anticipate dangers though GC... would you put yourself in danger of the taxi doors opening and ride through that gap on that premise, solely because legally you can- I wouldn't.

Top Bottom