Social media forces cyclist-doorer to fess up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

algo

Regular
Apparently this lane is a "refuge" not a "designated bike lane" - nonetheless it seems there is little route option. There are tramtracks to the right, and I think at that particular point it's not even possible to filter down the right on account of a platform. I think I would be very wary of filtering down there, but given that it seems it is the only viable route you can't blame her for taking it, and I'm in no place to judge her for doing it. It's clearly appalling infrastructure - some interesting points on this video where the cyclist speaks - in the very final interview you see several cyclists doing the same thing. I still find the reaction of the passengers appalling personally.

1:26, that cycle lane is 90cm. Good grief.

Looked painful, feel sorry for her, and well done for being calm and persistent, but, law or no law, there is no way I would be doing what she did. I avoid undertaking at all cost, you can't get away from the dooring area, and, I reckon there is much more chance of a passenger not looking than a driver - not a lot, but, from experience a noticeable difference.

snorri

Legendary Member
I wonder if the arrogance of the passengers was alcohol fuelled? Not that that is any excuse for their behaviour.
The cyclist wasn't travelling fast, so was probably aware of the hazard.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Today's Herald Sun Melbourne editorial is calling for registration of all cyclists, including numberplates :rolleyes:. Apparently they missed the fact that registration didn't stop motorists from frequently breaking various road rules. They also didn't mention that motorists in Victoria actually have a higher road rule infringement rate than cyclists, and this has been the case for years. It doesn't surprise me, though, as our major newspapers are all generally pro-motorist (as is the whole country, in fact). I wrote a rebuttal to the paper, but don't know if they'll bother publishing it.

Colin B

Today's Herald Sun Melbourne editorial is calling for registration of all cyclists, including numberplates :rolleyes:. Apparently they missed the fact that registration didn't stop motorists from frequently breaking various road rules. They also didn't mention that motorists in Victoria actually have a higher road rule infringement rate than cyclists, and this has been the case for years. It doesn't surprise me, though, as our major newspapers are all generally pro-motorist (as is the whole country, in fact). I wrote a rebuttal to the paper, but don't know if they'll bother publishing it.
Lol where would you put the plate I assume aus has a minimum plate size like the UK imagine them stuck on a bike
Sorry meant standard plate size

Colin B

Would kids have to have em too . I don't think they've thought that idea out

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The Herald Sun readership is sheeple. Thinking isn't their strong point. I only read this paper because I like to stay informed on what other people think of cyclists, even though I feel sometimes like I'm wading into a cesspool.

algo

Regular
no - I like it. I want all pedestrians with a number plate, and all dogs and cats and all babies. Babies should definitely get their own insurance - I've had enough of nearly being hit by toys being flung from prams and almost damaging my shoes.

Colin B

Just to play devils advocate for a second would it be a bad thing carrying ID . Not sure if I'm in a minority but I always carry identification with me and I'm not suggesting number plates on a bike lol ,but if a cyclist has zero ID and is injured it would be harder to confirm who he is if he's seriously hurt .
There again though I've always thought it should be law to carry your drivers licence and that isn't

no - I like it. I want all pedestrians with a number plate, and all dogs and cats and all babies. Babies should definitely get their own insurance - I've had enough of nearly being hit by toys being flung from prams and almost damaging my shoes.

They won't allow critical comments. Filthy ex-colonial scummers.

Top Bottom