Socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi all
I would like some advice on Merino wool cycling socks, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks once again for any help

Eldridge.

Sorry feel free to move, I think I've put this in the wrong place!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Any that fit your feet. Don't necessarily need "cycling" on the label. Socks are socks.
Not too tight. Don't restrict the circulation in your feet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
I have both Castelli Gregge and Endura Baa Baa merino socks and find the Endura ones to be the warmest.

Both brands fit very comfortably and are not too thick, although the Endura ones are slightly thicker than the Castelli.

The Castelli Gregge look very stylish (until I put them on :O)) and I think will be the perfect sock for early spring and late autumn.

Graham

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Any that fit your feet. Don't necessarily need "cycling" on the label. Socks are socks.
Not too tight. Don't restrict the circulation in your feet.

Hi Dogtrousers I've always been of a similar opinion regarding socks, but as I'm getting older I'm seeking other people's advice/opinions. The issue I have is keeping my feet warm and I'm thinking there must be something in these merino wool socks?

Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

I like the on one merino thinnys from Planet X, 3 pairs for under a tenner I think (also look at their clearance if not bothered on design, don't forget to add postage or spend up to their free post limit)

http://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=socks

I recently got a couple of pairs of these, not merino but fantastic and the spotty ones are lovely looking

https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/pedal-ed/products/pedal-ed-dario-natural-wood-socks

I was looking at the planetx ones this morning at 3.30am lol

They look good value for money.

Thanks

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

I have both Castelli Gregge and Endura Baa Baa merino socks and find the Endura ones to be the warmest.

Both brands fit very comfortably and are not too thick, although the Endura ones are slightly thicker than the Castelli.

The Castelli Gregge look very stylish (until I put them on :O)) and I think will be the perfect sock for early spring and late autumn.

Graham

Thanks Graham good info, I'll take a look.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

I bought a pair from Lidl recently, the warmest socks I've had in years, only time will tell how long they last.

Cheers Guru

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi Dogtrousers I've always been of a similar opinion regarding socks, but as I'm getting older I'm seeking other people's advice/opinions. The issue I have is keeping my feet warm and I'm thinking there must be something in these merino wool socks?

Thanks anyway.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarky.

I wear thin merino undersocks along with some woolly oversocks and winter boots. Neither pair was sold as cycling socks. Sadly my feet still get cold in cold weather on long rides.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
+1 for Planet X merino socks, either thicky or thinny depending on your preference. Affordable, even better when on one of the frequent offers, and do the job.

They're not merino, but I bought a pair of SealSkins thermal liners and don't rate them at all as they simply don't keep my feet warm.

vickster

Legendary Member
In cold weather, I use two pairs of socks, merino thinnys plus a coolmax type. I've not needed two pairs with the lovely Pedal Ed ones, but I've not ridden below 5 deg :smile: Toe covers on my shoes help too with cold and wet

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarky.

I wear thin merino undersocks along with some woolly oversocks and winter boots. Neither pair was sold as cycling socks. Sadly my feet still get cold in cold weather on long rides.
Hi Dogtrousers

What kind of winter boots do you wear and are they any good?

I didn't think you were being sarky to be honest.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi Dogtrousers

What kind of winter boots do you wear and are they any good?

I didn't think you were being sarky to be honest.
Northwave boots. They are really good. But I find that if I'm out riding all day in the cold my feet get very cold, whatever I do.

Thanks anyway.
I always used to use "cycling specific" socks (a mixture of branded and Aldi/Lidl/Tchibo specials) but rarely now.

I do have a couple of pairs of wool socks (maybe Endura) which aren't bad, but I can recommend a sock Aldi do - can't remember what it's called -a sort of woolly effect synthetic pair aimed at folk who want to keep their feet toasty in front of an open fire or whatever rather than indulge in hot open fire sex - they are probably called toasty feet or something similar. I slip inside those ultra thin posy racing cycling socks (I have a few, then decided they were plain daft/useless used alone) so that I can use the toasty outer several times. Have been out in this combo on a few freezing night rides of late and all was hunky dory. Lidl quite possibly do similar socks on specials etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom