"Somehow I got too close to him..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Yet another case of a jury not having the guts to give a guilty verdict on a driver:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....country-lane/story-29829794-detail/story.html

"Thomas told the jury she was on her way to post Christmas cards but was not in a hurry and was a careful driver with no points on her licence.She said she had only beeped twice to let the bicyclist know she was there and had not driven too close to the bicycle deliberately. She said she had learned to drive on the very road where the accident happened, which is narrow and bendy and known locally as Curly Lane. She said:"The cyclist proceeded down the lane. It was obvious he was taking the racing line and trying to straighten out the corners. Somehow I got too close to him and the side of my car hit the back of his bicycle. I did not think I was that close. I was shocked and surprised. I lost sight of him and the bicycle because he fell over. I was going very slowly. I must have been closer to him than I thought I was. I was aware he was shouting but it did not seem to me he was screaming or in a lot of pain. I don't know why I carried on but as soon as I realised what I had done I turned around and came back." She said she had made a remark about mirrors but she was not angry. She said she had asked the police about whether the rider had been breath tested and their response was to breathalyse her."

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
What the...

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
How can you not think you are not too close to the cyclist and then hit them?
She must be half blind!
They sound like the excuses of a driver who was actually thinking "Bloody cyclist getting in my way.... won't stop and let me squeeze through... toot, toot, toot.... still in my way.... let's see if I can squeeze through anyway.... "

Keith Oates

Janner
After reading 'the express and echo' report she should at least be banned from driving for some time and also pay for damages to the rider and the bike.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tin Pot

Guru
"
Thomas <the accused> allegedly drove on but returned shortly afterwards and said:"You were in my way, don't you have mirrors?".

She left again but passed the scene on her way home when she saw three police cars and stopped to ask an officer: "Has he been breathalysed yet?""

Hanging is too good for them.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Thomas, of Bolham, near Tiverton, denies dangerous driving but has admitted the lesser offence of careless driving.
The prosecution has a week to decide if it wants a retrial. Hopefully, it does!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And the jury did not convict. This is justice?
"Bloody cyclists."

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Thomas, of Bolham, near Tiverton, denies dangerous driving but has admitted the lesser offence of careless driving.
The prosecution has a week to decide if it wants a retrial. Hopefully, it does!
The problem is that so many trials like this have ended up with dangerous driving prosecutions ending up with careless driving convictions (even when people have died) that they might think it's not worth the expense and effort. And so the message that it's OK kill cyclists is reinforced...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
He's taking the racing line and straightening out the corners yet while she still thought she was travelling slowly she caught up and sideswiped him.

God knows what she considers driving fast then?

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom