Someone recommend me a tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karlt

I have an old Raleigh Eclipse that I use for commuting when the weather's a bit mucky, and the thought's crossed my mind that with its relatively wide clearances (it's got 40mm mudguards on, to give an idea) compared with modern road bikes it could be fitted with wider tyres than the current 25mm Rubinos to allow me to use bits of the TPT for a more pleasant ride. The bits I'm thinking of using are hard topped but loose stone rather than tarmac - disused railway lines. Full blown MTB totally unnecessary, but it's asking for a pinch flat with 23-25mm road tyres. Don't think it even warrants CX tyres, just a reliable touring tyre, 700c, around 28mm.

I don't want to go for broke on either rolling resistance or puncture protection; a middling compromise would be fine.

Tim Hall

Why is it asking for a pinch flat? IME 23-25mm tyres are run at higher pressures than wider tyres, so this should lessen the risk of pinch flats, not increase it. If you want a 28mm puncture resistant tyre I'd go for Specialized All Condition Armadillo.

OP
OP
K

Karlt

Because to be comfortable on the non-tarmac surface I would have to run them below their recommended pressure. I'm looking for something that will be comfortable at the recommended pressure on these surfaces.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225814 suggests it might have come with 20s :eek: but the picture of one wearing 23s makes me think 28s would fit.

I'm running 28s on my Falcon. I've not been off-road yet but I may use a bit of gravel track when the weather improves and don't expect any trouble. I'm running Schwalbe Active Line tyres which are £7 each but the wrong size... I think you'd have to use the more expensive Delta Cruisers for £8.50 each from Spa :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
28 is not really that wide for loose gravelly type surfaces, maybe 32 or 35 would be my choice.
Doesn't sound like you need any 'nobbly' grip so something slick like a Schwalbe Marathon would do.

I've done loads of gravel and packed surfaces on 28mm. For unladen riding it is fine. You could go to 32, but there is no need to go wider.
Marathon 28 is a good allrounder for a fast utility bike, some of the thinner, slicker tyres roll faster.
I have used Marathon 32 for fully laden touring on all surfaces inc farm tracks, mountain/ logging trails, hard-sand beaches.

Tom B

Guru
I run 28 marathon plusses on my commuter/all purpose bike. They're a good allrounder. I use them predominantly on road, regularly on leaf covered tarmac cycle tracks and tow path tyre tracks without issue, had them off road and up peel tower with as good performance you'd expect from anything not knobbley.

I wrecked one almost new tyre on a water filled gash in the road /ironwork but the council paid for that!

Downside they're heavy, but get you home!

I run 28 marathon plusses on my commuter/all purpose bike. They're a good allrounder
I would only recommend Marathon Plus is wider sizes, the sidewalls are so stiff, it affects rolling resistance far more in narrow widths. Regular Marathons are quite tough.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I use regular marathon (front wheel) and marathon plus (rear wheel) in 32mm and they're pretty much ideal for the surfaces you're riding on - plus they're about as puncture resistant as you can get.

Tim Hall

Because to be comfortable on the non-tarmac surface I would have to run them below their recommended pressure. I'm looking for something that will be comfortable at the recommended pressure on these surfaces.
Good point. Is the surface the original track ballast or something a little finer that's been compacted into place?

I regularly take 25mm Durano Plus on a former railway track down this way that's surfaced with compacted "stuff" with no problem.

OP
OP
K

Karlt

Good point. Is the surface the original track ballast or something a little finer that's been compacted into place?

I regularly take 25mm Durano Plus on a former railway track down this way that's surfaced with compacted "stuff" with no problem.

Cheers. Last time I tried it I was on 23mm and it was awful. I'm running 25mm on this bike at the moment so I might give it a try, see how it is.

Top Bottom