Spam Phonecalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
TPS works a bit, it's amazing how quickly they hang up when you ask for details of who they are calling for, because you're on TPS and want to report them. Of course, we have Caller ID on the landline and as almost no-one phones it just look at the number before picking up. If we don't recognise it, it's just left to ring out. Didn't know you could TPS mobiles now, will do that, too many PPI calls on it.

Have a friend who keeps getting emails from various people because there are some Americans who keep giving out his email address rather than their own (similar names and they are stupid by the sounds of it) he kept trying to sort it out, but they wouldn't stop. Last email he got was confirmation of flight details the guy had bought, so he snapped and requested the business class upgrade, then ordered the guy the crappiest thing he could find on the inflight menu. As an IT professional he figures if they complain he'll tell them it was a lesson in internet security and he'll waive his fee just this once.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
When I was at primary school, I loved it when they dished up spam fritters and chips - none of this 5 a day rubbish, made me the slob that I am today.
A man after my own heart. sod this healthy stuff...
Keep fit? nah, keep eating what you like..

Oh and on the phone thing?
I answer occasionally in a foreign language and once answered in an asian accent...
to my shame, the physio was on the other end..
and oh boy, I got it in the neck...

Drago

Legendary Member
"Ah, I'm glad you called. Can In interest you in our exciting new range of double glazing? Discounts of out to 1% for call centre employees"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
a chap I know replied politely.that he didn't want to buy whatever product at the moment - but was really glad they phoned and wondered if they'd like any plastering done. The caller was confused so he explained he was a plasterer, and perhaps some of the caller's colleagues might need some plastering done.

Though a dive boat owner I know managed to sell a diving holiday to a chap on his broadband provider's help desk !

Brandane

Legendary Member
Many years ago, when the STD codes only had 4 numbers, I was living in Rothesay, STD code 0700.
A mate of mine had the phone number 2200, and was getting hundreds of calls every month from people trying to contact the British Airways reservations office. He was stumped as to the reason, until he got talking to one of the callers one day. Turns out they were misreading the advertisement printed in various media, which gave a phone number followed by the office opening hours. It was open 0700-2200 :laugh:.

postman

Legendary Member
This house i live in,can have a free boiler and it's paid for by the Government.just have to press a number on the phone.No thank you.

I used to get loads of overseas spam calls especially the ones saying they're from "Microsoft Support, calling about the computer problem recently reported". I have two standard responses I use. Either saying the person they were asking about died 5 years ago, or that I don't have a computer.

I don't seem to get the calls now. I almost miss them.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Had a phone call from a company offering to block all spam calls in return for a "nominal" fee of about 30p a day I think they said; although not sure of the exact amount, because, by this point in the conversation, I'd lost the will to live!

TVC

This house i live in,can have a free boiler and it's paid for by the Government.just have to press a number on the phone.No thank you.
If you have a spare couple of minutes then do press the button, these people love to chat, right up to the point that you say you hope they don't mind you wasting their time just like they have been wasting yours.

Berties

Fast and careful!
One of the guys that works for me when he gets the injury claims idiots phones him,he tells them he's cut his penis off in a catering injury at McDonald's and Ronald won't let him claim,sausage off ,he times he calls we are up to 15 mins ,

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've copped on that I'm in the middle of a row and been polite the the person on the phone then said "I bloody hate you too, sod off with your flooozy then" then returned to the call saying 'sorry about that, you were saying?' and then I listen for a while longer then yell "you were crap in bed and I faked all my orgasms" then return to the call. Makes me laugh anyway :laugh:
I must try using that line!
As a bloke, I'm not sure how I'd fake it, but it would confuse the feck out of spam merchants.

My wife is a pro at this.....

We had a double glazing firm who kept on calling, so one night she started talking about how it would be wonderful as they were offering to replace the kitchan and living room windows (both for the price of one window)

After about 20 minutes we were agreeing about sizes and they tried to arrange a visit to measure up.....

At this point she stated she would bring the windows down to them.

After all they were talking about plastic windows and the ones in the tent were a bit yellow and old!

Top Bottom