Spam Phonecalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I have had the usual quota of Number Withheld, Number Unavailable, International, 08xxxxxxxxxx (etc.) calls today despite long ago registering with the TPS. For once I had to answer some of them because I am expecting a call from an organisation who withhold their number. Yes, "Holly from Green Energy" finally managed to breach my defences, but only because I could not risk missing my call!

I quickly told Holly that I was not interested and hung up and am still waiting for the call. If Holly rings again, I will not be happy! :laugh:

ColinJ

And now I am apparently entitled to compensation for ... [cut them off!]

Ian A

Über Member
The only wanted calls we get on our landline are from my parents so we never answer. Parents leave a message and if we're in we hear the message when they're talking and pick up the phone or call back if we we're out. We had problems when the kids used to pick up the receiver from the charger when it rang which automatically answers the call. I can't tell the spammer to f**k off when I have a smiling child next to me who is pleased with themselves for "helping" daddy ^_^.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had one today from someone telling me they knew I was in debt. I told them so what everyone was! Though he didn't understand me and I had to repeat it several times, then clunk!:whistle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My internet provider phoned me this afternoon, allegedly." Hi Mrs WD. We are your internet provider and we have been getting a lot of error reports? " "Oh yes? Well, who are you exactly?" " We're your internet provider." ( This could get boring.) "Im recording all my calls" CLICK. The phone is disconnected, until next time.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
A couple of years ago I had someone drive into the back of my car. It was all sorted fine - just bodywork damage that her innsewerance paid for. But for a while afterwards, I got various phonecalls from ambulance chasers. When I told one woman that I hadn't been injured, she said 'What do you mean, you weren't injured?' :banghead:

ColinJ

Out of interest, I picked up one of those spam calls today but stayed silent to see what they would do. I could hear the breathing of the person on the other end and people talking in the background, but they were clearly waiting for me to say something. After about 5 seconds, they gave up.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Out of interest, I picked up one of those spam calls today but stayed silent to see what they would do. I could hear the breathing of the person on the other end and people talking in the background, but they were clearly waiting for me to say something. After about 5 seconds, they gave up.

I answered one, put the phone by the radio speaker for a few minutes and walked away.

Came back, hung up.

Phone rang.

Young indian(?) lady said "fark Off"

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I always say that the bill payer/occupant has recently died.
I once worked in a garden centre and was going through updating orders etc. I rang to advise a customer that an ordered plant was ready, I was told that he'd died the day before.... I couldn't get off the phone quick enough.

My Uncle told us recently about a phone call he got from SAGA Holidays, offering a brochure for 'The holiday of a lifetime' for his Mum (my late Gran).

His reply back was something along the lines of

The holiday of a lifetime you say? That's very nice of you, but I don't think she would much appreciate it, she's been dead since September 1989! (True)

SAGA: Oh..... Sorry to hear that...... Do you want us to take her name off our list then??

Yes, you do that!!

:rofl:

If my son answers these calls they invariably ask for me, he says its not him and when they ask if I'm available his line is always, no sorry, he's dead, we're having his funeral tomorrow

Does that actually work? I mean, it only take you to say that to the wrong people and..... :whistle:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Does that actually work? I mean, it only take you to say that to the wrong people and..... :whistle:

Dunno, I don't know who he is talking to or if they subsequently call back or not.

I do know that my banking and indebtedness are to the same organisation, my preferences to them are not to based around the home phone (for me the thing could go, it is a barely used relic of a pre smart communication device time) and that every organisation I deal with because I want/need to has no cold calls and other means specified as my preferred contact from them.
Also from executing a will relatively recently, the people that my dad banked with and owed the balance of a mortgage to and had life insurance etc ongoing required more than a second hand report from the cold calling centre, following a conversation they instigated with a recipient purporting to be the deceased son, to verify the accuracy of the information and act upon it.

His antic doesn't worry me sufficiently to fear that my bank will cut me off in my tracks.

if I'm wrong i'm sure I'll have a frustrating time sorting it out and a half decent family do story to ruefully recount.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got a call yesterday, (TPS breached again, will re-register) from an accident claims line. When I told him I hadn't had any accidents he shouted down the phone "Not even in the last two years?" The phone was put down.

ColinJ

One spammer called me 7 times today, and another twice!

Online reports indicate that the 7-timer offers to help you claim compensation after your car accident. I don't even drive ...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
" Could you transfer me to the manager who deals with your electricity supply/mobile contracts/stationary supplies/ bad debts...etc"
"I'm sorry, I'm busy" and put the phone down. The trick is to get the phone down without engaging in conversation. If you do, politeness demands that you are somehow obliged to talk further. Don't. It encourages them.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We've had a rash of automated calls about solar panels & loft insulation despite being on TPS. All inviting us to dial 3 to be put through to their team. Usually at busy times of the day - I guess they know when someone's likely to be at home.

it is very irritating !

Top Bottom