specialized allez elite 2015 v cannondale caad8 105 2015 v giant defy composite 3 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daddyb06

Regular
Hi there im reletivly new to road biking and have a careers zelos and although basic for last year has been a brilliant bike and have done over 1000 miles on it . Now thanks to the cycle 2 work scheme I am looking to upgrade and use my carrera as a commuter . i don't really understand spec but have narrowed it down to the 3 above bikes and reading reveiw after reveiw still don't know anyone help me out and give me there thoughts HELP PLZ ... I am looking to use it on 100 mile rides and if needed to compete with aswell as my aim is to compete in du and tri athlons ... There is also the giant tcr 2014 but have read bottom end carbon bikes R worse than higher end alloy is this TRUE ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Cannondale, best groupset and quite possibly frame

However, only you can decise so go test riding

(and it's best not to openly post that you aren't intending to use a C2W bike for commuting although depends on the terms of your scheme ;) Some people get very upset by 'misuse' of C2W for N+1! )

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
They'll all happily do the distance, my first hang up is I'm not keen on the colour scheme of the elite 2015 yet- it may grow on me.

mattobrien

Guru
We have just got a CAAD8 105 2014 for Mrs O. It is in a baby blue livery with touches of red and is a very good looking bike.

We were able to pick it up for £880 and while I appreciate the 5700 105 is being replaced on the 2015 model, she is very pleased with it, as am I. I am almost slightly envious of her for it, despite having my own carbon exotica. Naturally I have been drawing up a long list of future upgrades which she doesn't yet know she needs (first road bike).

OP
OP
D

daddyb06

Regular
Thank you all for your help its v much apretiated I am straying towards the caad I think esp with your input :biggrin:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Throw a Felt Z85 in the mix. 105 and down to £659 till end of August. Just bought one and couldn't be happier. Very comfy and really responsive. Be worth a look perhaps.

Scooby03

Cannondale has a much respected name, BUT the frame technology is pretty outdated as they don't make themselves.

For that money a much better frame is available with higher quality 6066 triple butted aluminium, tapered head tube and full carbon tapered fork.

jamin100

Guru
Buy the best frame out of the 3 as components can be changed over time.

I got the defy 3 composite a few months back for £800, for that money it was a no brainer.

Other than that my friend has just brought a Planet X carbon with ultegra for £999 and he's over the moon with it

Scooby03

Well said Jamin100.

The point I was making is the same, check out the frame not the name on it.

Whilst Giant is my biggest competitor, I would rate it massively higher than the Planet X.

In the last few days I have been prepping our training room with sawn up cheap carbon frames.

Many are 3 or 4 generations behind the guys that do R&D such as Giant and Merida.

Top Bottom