Specialized Roubaix 2013 advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Hi I'm more of a reader than a conributer but asked on here a few months ago about my first road bike and bought a used Claud Butler from a member off here. It's been a good bike and in the few months I've had it I've probably covered 1000 or so miles.

I've now been offered a Specialized Roubaix 2013 which looks like new and I'm told has done less than a 100 miles the purchaser bought it, couldn't get used it and traded it in. The bike is being sold by a bike shop so there shouldn't be a problem with any warranty.

Anyway I'll get to the point. I'm taking it out for a ride on Thursday evening and apart from being comfy what else should I be looking for? I've deliberately not put the asking price but would like to hear what you think I should be paying. It has had a wheel upgrade but I can't remember what to but will find out and amend the post.

So if you have experience of this bike can you please comment and advise.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
I believe the Specialized lifetime warranty is only valid for the first owner, so you will want to confirm the warranty situation directly with Specialized

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The Roubaix is a comfy bike. By Comfy I mean the head tube is longer putting you in a slightly more upright position with less weight on the wrist. It will also have "zerets" on the fork and seatstays which help dampen road buzz.

Be aware though that just because of these it wont automatically be comfy for you as it comes out the shop! Saddle angle and height will play a large part, also it will be different to your CB that may make you think its uncomfortable.

Take an allen key set with you to adjust the saddle to suit, but be aware that it is carbon and tightening it too much could damage it. The shop should do a mini-fit to make sure its at least 95% right for you, the other 5% will be relitivly minor tweaks that can make all the difference.

Onyer

I own a 2013 Sport Roubaix - came with a triple chainset - and I love it. I rode LEJOG on it and found it very comfortable and smooth, without any of the road buzz I had with my previous ally bike. Since then I have upgraded the wheels and changed the 105/Tiagra mix groupset to the new Ultegra 6800 11 sp. This has reduced the weight by about a kilo and makes it a better bike to ride. The list price for my bike was £1,500 and I would expect to pay £600 to £800 for one of the same configuration second hand today. Obviously depends on condition. Maybe a higher price if the wheels are very good.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
I've had the experience of owning a 2006 Roubaix Comp and now, a 2013 Roubaix Comp. Both are excellent bikes, can't recommend Roubaix enough for comfort over long distances. Having also test-ridden an SL4 version (is the one you're planning on buying an SL4 or just a normal 2013 model?) it also feels brilliant in terms of comfort whilst maintaining good speeds.
You will love it, please keep us informed.

OP
OP
Freds Dad

Freds Dad

Veteran
Thanks all for the advice and tips. I took the bike out last night for a test ride and was really impressed. It was so much comfier and smoother than my current CB which is after all 7 years old.
I ended up buying the bike which also had been fitted with Mavik Aksium wheels. I got it for what I consider to be a good price and the LBS also added 2 Specialized cages, a small bag with inner tube and tyre levers and a new set of Shimano pedals.
I will get a photo posted in the "Show us your Specialized" thread in the next couple of days.

Top Bottom