Specialized Secteur Elite 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Copper on an ally frame? He'll never bond with it ;)

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Mike, welcome back mate
A new bike or a baby? ;)

BentMikey said:
That's lovely Ian! My neighbour, a copper, is getting one this week or next, depending on how soon he gets his cyclescheme vouchers.

congrats on your news Ian. How does the Secter compare to the Roubaix. The good old Alu v's Carbon debate as other than that they are pretty much the same arenet they?....other than the granny ring :ohmy:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Haven't had a chance to ride the Secteur in anger yet, only home from the bike shop. Start using it in anger on my tomorrows commute. And yes, aprt from the triple on the Secteur, they have the same components (Shim 105) and frame geometry.
BUT.. I can't imagine it being a better ride then the Carbon jobbie...

35pointnine

Any update on the Secteur Ian? I'm interested in both the Roubaix and the Secteur and was hoping that you could provide a comparison now that it looks like you've been able to ride the Secteur. I've test ridden the Roubaix and loved it but my local LBS doesn't have a Secteur to test so I've been searching around for some good comparison reviews....trying to decide if the price difference is worth it.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello 35pointnice and welcome to the forum.

The Roubaix is a better bike no doubt, you get what you pay for at the end of the day, but I am a little spoiled in the fact that it was my first Carbon jobbie and absolutely love the damned thing. The Secteur in comparison is a great bike. Very light, comfy, quick and good handling, but you just don't get that smooth silky ride or quick acceleration of the Roubaix, with the Secteur being Alu, you seem to feel every single bump. Does the Secteur justify it's price tag? I definitely think so. It's a nice Aluminium frame with 105 components (the Secteur is a triple compared to the Roubaix's double), the paint job looks far nicer then in the pics. One little criticism of the Secteur I do have is that the cranks and rear derailleur are black when I would have preferred silver, but that's just me. I bought it for commuting and all weather bike as I have become a snob about taking the Roubaix out in the rain.

However if you can stretch to that little bit extra bit of dosh, I would urge you to get the Roubaix, though I don't think there are many 09 machines about & If you do find one you should be able to haggle a nice discount.

35pointnine

Thanks Ian!!

I'm actually new to cycling...been wanted to get into it for years but finally am taking the plunge. I've just been hesitant about spending this much on a bike but had finally made up my mind on the Roubaix then I saw the Secteur. Was going back and forth about Aluminum vs Carbon. With this being my first road bike I really wasn't sure about the differences in smoothness with bumps etc. Can't afford two bikes so I've there's pressure to make the right choice.

Roubaix it is. No looking back.

Anyway, you're post was extremely helpful, thanks agian....congrats on your news by the way.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one 35pointnine and cheers.

Where are you buying your bike? When I bought my Roubaix I got 10% off, 2 Spesh bottle carriers and a small saddle bag thrown in.
For the Secteur, they wouldn't give me a discount due to it being new 2010 range bike and all that, so wrangled a free pair of XT Spd pedals and a couple of bottle cages.

35pointnine

I'm actually in the U.S. (Maryland, about 40 minutes outside of Washington D.C.). A LBS is holding a '09 Roubaix for me. Problem is they've been holding it for about a week for me and I asked them to do that before trying to get a discount :blush:. Maybe hard to haggle at this point. Worth a try. I do need some accessories (pump, bottle carriers, etc.) Maybe I can work something out on that end.

ChrisKH

Guru
Nice pair!

I would have thought you might have gone for something a bit different. Quanta Questa on the Secteur?

I'm seriously thinking of putting race blades on the Allez Sport for winter as you suggested and upgrading next year to something else.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still worth asking, they wouldn't like to lose a good sale would they?

Off to the US on Saturday myself, LA then off into the deserts of California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona for a couple of weeks.
LA to Bonneville Salt Flats, Salt Lake, down through Moab and Monument, down to the Mexican Border along to San Diego, back up to LA.

35pointnine said:
I'm actually in the U.S. (Maryland, about 40 minutes outside of Washington D.C.). A LBS is holding a '09 Roubaix for me. Problem is they've been holding it for about a week for me and I asked them to do that before trying to get a discount :blush:. Maybe hard to haggle at this point. Worth a try. I do need some accessories (pump, bottle carriers, etc.) Maybe I can work something out on that end.

Top Bottom