1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specialized Tricross for LEJog?

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by memoman, 31 Jan 2012.

1. memoman

memoman Active Member

I've been offered this bike for a very reasonable price. Question is, do you think it can do LEJog?

Thanks
  2. aberal

aberal Well-Known Member

Advert
    Certainly. Needs road tyres though.
  3. Norm

Norm Guest

It's the closest that Specialized do to a tourer. Given the size of Spesh, if they think it's good enough to fill that space, I'd be happy to say yes to that question. :thumbsup:
  4. memoman

memoman Active Member

It's got brand new Marathon Plus's fitted.
  5. memoman

memoman Active Member

Sorry missed something out. We're doing it unsupported. Do you think it'll still be up to it?
  6. wintonbina

wintonbina Well-Known Member

Yes to the bike doing it. Don't know about you to pass comment ^_^but if you can master the bloody hills of Tiverton then you will find it a doddle(ish)! Tony
  7. memoman

memoman Active Member

:biggrin: Thanks for your comments. Will try and snap it up asap!
  8. theloafer

theloafer Veteran

lejog can be done on any bike ..:whistle: i just prefer my full blown caygill tourer get the gearing right and your half way there
  9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I know someone who did LEJoG on a Carrera Subway. So yes.
  10. donnieban

donnieban Active Member

Tricross was suggested to me(for LEJOG) by several LBS. Robust, low geared and rack compatible and able to mix it with the best of them.
  11. doog

doog Über Member

did you buy it? I have a Tricross and have a done a few tours including Spain back to the UK fully loaded. The only upgrade I would recommend is the wheels if its still on the stock wheels ( or at least just the rear wheel if you are on a budget)
  12. donnieban

donnieban Active Member

I was all set to buy till my employer pulled out of the cycle scheme......
    Ended up buying a 2 year old TREK 520 tourer which seems good but will end up replacing the wheels n drivetrain, out of preference - so almost back to square 1.
  13. gary in derby

gary in derby Well-Known Member

can you enlighten me as to why a change of wheels?
  14. doog

doog Über Member

Its unlikely the stock wheels on a Tricross will be suitable for a fully loaded tour. Mine certainly weren't (cheap32 spoke Alex rims). At the very least replace the rear with something stronger, hand made and with 36 spokes.
  15. david1701

david1701 Well-Known Member

The man has a point if you're carrying a lot of weight, I've kicked mine out of true twice, admittedly both on twisty coastal single track and once with a rack bag over :tongue: but still a weak spot
  16. suffolkcindy

suffolkcindy Active Member

YES yes and yes...my specilized tricross just did 4000km unsupported round SE Asia on rough roads with size 32 Panaracer pasela tourguard tyres (no punctures). It was brilliant BUT the brakes are useless so I would suggest changing the brake pads for something more substantial. Apart from that, it is ready to roll....
    Hawk likes this.
  17. suffolkcindy

suffolkcindy Active Member

I wouldnt sweat the wheels issue for LEJOG, just be sensible on the weight you are carrying. Tricross wheels are guaranteed for up to 185kg (you plus baggage) so unless you are seriously overweight and carrying your kitchen sink in your panniers you will be OK on tarmac for a couple of weeks. I carried myself and 10kg (I tour light) for months and months over really rough terrain (its a cyclocross bike). If you were setting off round the world I would agree changing the wheels would be advisable. I am saving up to do just that.
  18. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Is the tricross a heavy bike? Debating getting this over a out an out road bike such as the allez elite or defy 2.
    My thinking being to put fulcrum 7 wheels and a 28c tyre on over the summer and originals in the winter.
    Any thoughts?

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's significantly lighter than my Spesh hybrid so no, it's not heavy.
  20. Norm

Norm Guest

How tall are you? You can come and try mine out, although I know that Stows have the 2012 model of both the Tricross and the Allez.