Speed limits on cycle paths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Hi everyone this may be a daft question but I cycle the no7 cycle route and c2c path from the lakes to Sunderland very often probably daily (not all the way of course different routes daily) and some of them have been refurbed to fresh Tarmac which is heaven for the road bike.

however yesterday I overtook a road cyclist on a bianchi (so obviously into it) I always make sure I stay behind until a safe place to pass comes and always say excuse me and greet them as I pass all seemed fine, I then stopped a few miles down the path to check my tyre for glass as the local yobbo's had nicked a one of those industrial sized bins and were smashing bottles on the path, the cyclist I mentioned then came up behind me about 10 mins later as I was checking Facebook and the likes while I had the chance and he complained that I was going well over the speed I should be going on that path and it was rediculous he then got up out of the saddle and sprinted off ( only for me to re overtake him not too long after lol) . Now is their actually a speed limit on these cycle routes or is he just p*ssed he got overtook?

I must admit a lot of people around here generally try to sprint off or wiggle around In a zig zag making a fool of themselves before letting me past so I wouldn't be surprised. But I always smile wave and say hi when I pass anyone or see anyone for that matter so it's not like I'm just a speeding yobbo.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The only speed limit is common sense.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought there was a recommended top speed of 18 mph, though personally I think that is far too fast if there are pedestrians and dogs around. My main two cycle paths have stretches where you hardly see a pedestrian and then it doesn't bother me if cyclists are going faster. On the busier stretches one place actually has a speed activated slow down sign which I think is calibrated to about 17/18 mph.

vernon

I thought there was a recommended top speed of 18 mph, though personally I think that is far too fast if there are pedestrians and dogs around. My main two cycle paths have stretches where you hardly see a pedestrian and then it doesn't bother me if cyclists are going faster. On the busier stretches one place actually has a speed activated slow down sign which I think is calibrated to about 17/18 mph.

There's a whole world of difference between a recommended speed limit and an enforceable one.

Cyclists can't be prosecuted for breaking speed limits on the road what chance is there of having enforceable speed limits on cycle paths - how are cyclists to gauge their speed if they don't have cycle computers fitted?

Can I clarify a few of the points above....

There are no specific or legally binding speed limits, but there don't need to be as you can be censured for "reckless" or "dangerous" cycling and an inappropriate (in the eyes of the Officer) speed would fit into one of these categories.

Sustrans have a voluntary code for conduct on shared use paths and the "Speed bits" are inferred throughout with courtesy, sense and respect for others as opposed to a specific limit in mph:

• Give way to pedestrians and wheelchair users;
  • Take care around horse-riders, leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind;
  • Be courteous and patient with pedestrians and other path users who are moving more slowly than you – shared paths are for sharing, not speeding;
  • Cycle at a sensible speed and do not use the paths for recording times with challenge apps or for fitness training;
  • Slow down when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead;
  • Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people (including children) could appear in front of you without warning;
  • Keep to your side of any dividing line;
  • Carry a bell and use it, or an audible greeting, to avoid surprising people or horses;
  • However, don’t assume people can see or hear you – remember that many people are hard of hearing or visually impaired;
  • In dull and dark weather make sure you have lights so you can be seen.

The only attempt that I know of to give a figure was way back then the Department for Transoport issued a proposed conduct as an annexe to an "Local Transport Note" in 2004, but in was never actually brought into force.

Again much is couched in common sense terms, but one point is that they do quote a figure at 18mph stating that at this speed you should be on the road!!!!!

Again it is not a speed limit tin the true sense

The following key messages are suggested as the basis for a code of conduct notice for cyclists. The code could be posted at points of entry and at intervals along the route. This will be especially useful when the facility is new.

• If a feature segregating cyclists from pedestrians is present, keep to the cyclist's side. This will be indicated on blue and white road signs and by cycle logos on the surface.
  • Ride on the left hand side of the area available to you. If you need to overtake another cyclist, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'.
  • When coming up behind pedestrians, always pass them at a safe distance, and slowly enough so that you could avoid them if they made a sudden change in direction.
  • Remember that some pedestrians may be hard of hearing or visually impaired and hence might not be aware of you. If in doubt, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'.
  • Always respect pedestrians even if they stray onto the cycling side (if there is one); they are entitled to do so. Always thank people who move out of your way.
  • Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.
  • Use lights at night.
  • In pedestrianised areas, only ride your cycle if there aren't too many pedestrians about; otherwise dismount and push it. When visiting shops etc, park your cycle so that people will not trip over it; use formal cycle parking if available.

Overall it comes down to common sense and matching your speed to that of the conditions and environment

vernon

• Give way to pedestrians and wheelchair users; - common sense
  • Take care around horse-riders, leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind;- common sense
  • Be courteous and patient with pedestrians and other path users who are moving more slowly than you – shared paths are for sharing, not speeding;- common sense
  • Cycle at a sensible speed and do not use the paths for recording times with challenge apps or for fitness training;- common sense
  • Slow down when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead;- common sense
  • Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people (including children) could appear in front of you without warning;- common sense
  • Keep to your side of any dividing line;- common sense
  • Carry a bell and use it, or an audible greeting, to avoid surprising people or horses;- common sense
  • However, don’t assume people can see or hear you – remember that many people are hard of hearing or visually impaired;- common sense
  • In dull and dark weather make sure you have lights so you can be seen.- common sense

raleighnut

Legendary Member
  • Give way to pedestrians and wheelchair users; - common sense
  • Take care around horse-riders, leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind;- common sense
  • Be courteous and patient with pedestrians and other path users who are moving more slowly than you – shared paths are for sharing, not speeding;- common sense
  • Cycle at a sensible speed and do not use the paths for recording times with challenge apps or for fitness training;- common sense
  • Slow down when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead;- common sense
  • Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people (including children) could appear in front of you without warning;- common sense
  • Keep to your side of any dividing line;- common sense
  • Carry a bell and use it, or an audible greeting, to avoid surprising people or horses;- common sense
  • However, don’t assume people can see or hear you – remember that many people are hard of hearing or visually impaired;- common sense
  • In dull and dark weather make sure you have lights so you can be seen.- common sense
You say use common sense bit most of us don't, after all we persist in riding bicycles when we could all drive cars (that's what all my family tell me anyway) It got so bad that at my Fathers funeral Mum "gave" me his car ( at the time a 3yr old Rover 600i coupe) and was most upset when I declined it.
Cyclist since 1965 apart from Motorcycles 79-84

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You could have sold it.
You don't know my Mum, It would have become a family heirloom, and to sell it sacrilege :B)

What speed were you doing?

Depends on the path I guess so impossible to say. I know from using one as a walker and a cyclist that perspective in both situations is very different. As a walker you do kind of tense up a bit and it does feel that that someone is passing you faster than you'd like. As a cyclist you probably have the brakes covered, know how much room you have and where you can go and how fast you can stop. For that reason I slow a lot to go past people on a shared use path but there is no simple answer on speed.

You cant actually get prosecuted for speeding nor can you be prosecuted for dangerous or furious cycling based purely on your speed although you might fall foul of some local bylaw. Id say use common sense and try and view it from a pedestrians point of view on shared use.

You cant actually get prosecuted for speeding nor can you be prosecuted for dangerous or furious cycling based purely on your speed although you might fall foul of some local bylaw. Id say use common sense and try and view it from a pedestrians point of view on shared use.

Two points.....

The word is "appropriate" if a Police Officer feels that the speed you are doing is inappropriate.Tere have been examples. I know that in Cambridge it has been used to deal with fast cyclists, the wording is that

“Every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle.”

The other point is about the speed differential.

IIRC the difference in sped is less important to the perception of daanger than the difference. A vehicle passing at the same speed that you are traveling will "Seem" less dangerous than one passing at 5 times your speed.

One of the problems is that a cyclist passing a pedestrian at 15 mph has the same differential as a vehicle passing a cyclist at 75 mph

This is one of the reasons why many pedestrians feel "threatened" by cyclists

Slightly OT, but a good windup is to point out that bicycles became "officially" enshrined in law as carriages in 1888. Motor vehicles were not included until 1903!

So cycles have been on the roads officially long before cars!

Top Bottom