Speeds on Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi all,

I've been looking at some of the segments on Strava and some speeds on downhill sections. I was suprised to see that on certain routes near me some were hitting over 50mph. I've gone through some of these at 40mph and thought if I miss-judged a corner I'm in trouble. Also to add a lot of these segments go through 30 zones. Surely even at 40 the stopping speed on a road bike is terrible? Plus going downhill would make stopping harder.

Karlt

No, not really. There's a downhill near me where you can get to 45 pretty quick and I can be down to 15 for the bend at the bottom in a few seconds.

young Ed

Veteran
on a good day with a dry road with a good surface if i am confident i know i can stop my road bike in less than the diameter of a british 2 pence piece from upto about 20mph
with the right tyres, right road, right conditions, good brakes and a confident and skilled rider it is surprising how quickly you can slow down/stop on a road bike
Cheers Ed

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
on a good day with a dry road with a good surface if i am confident i know i can stop my road bike in less than the diameter of a british 2 pence piece from upto about 20mph
with the right tyres, right road, right conditions, good brakes and a confident and skilled rider it is surprising how quickly you can slow down/stop on a road bike
Cheers Ed
Stop in 2 cm? Is that really what you meant to say?

JMAG

Über Member
Stop in 2 cm? Is that really what you meant to say?

I can do it. In fact I just did it on Saturday. Not sure how it can be done whilst staying on the bike though :wacko:

20150822_141020~2~2.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think it is a brilliant idea to support downhill records on open roads!

I have even heard of some downhill Strava segments spanning multiple sets of traffic lights and even roundabouts. I'd call those 'accidents waiting to happen' ...

Oh, like THIS ONE.

(I agree that it is the rider's responsibility to ride safely, but it might be better not to encourage competition where high speeds are not safe.)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would much rather be able to be competitive climbing than going downhill, downhill seems to be more about how much your prepared to risk.

I am a big lad, so I makes up lots of time on the descents - unfortunately I have to make it up, because I lost it on the climbs. There is a huge amount of skill in descending fast, it is not just having balls the size of melons - I would venture there is more skill in descending than then is in climbing.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

My post came off wrong, I meant that it technique and fitness going up. Don't get me wrong, going downhill for me is easier as I am heavier than my mates and find that I'm applying brakes more often. I am just aware I'm not a sports bike with leathers.

I am a big lad, so I makes up lots of time on the descents - unfortunately I have to make it up, because I lost it on the climbs. There is a huge amount of skill in descending fast, it is not just having balls the size of melons - I would venture there is more skill in descending than then is in climbing.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It is just a question of being sensible. I can descend pretty well but if I don't know the descent or I feel it is dangerous I ease off. Strava is a bit of fun it isn't serious however serious some people get about it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My post came off wrong, I meant that it technique and fitness going up. Don't get me wrong, going downhill for me is easier as I am heavier than my mates and find that I'm applying brakes more often. I am just aware I'm not a sports bike with leathers.

I am yet to have a big 'off' - so I may reassess my speed in the future :smile: I have years of MTB behind me so feel pretty good with my bike handling, but even so, I tend to descend at more than 40mph only on the straights or where I have a great view ahead. Funnily enough, I would not trust myself on a motorbike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have one downhill record but you can only really do it at weekend. It's actually not a steep hill but you can hit over 40 on it. There aren't any bends but there are a couple of junctions which care. I don't generally bother with other downhills. I also have one off road one but it's half flat and half downhill on a track.

If they are short downhill segments be very sceptical of the speed, iirc one segment has me at 133mph. And there's one right opposite from me that's a short sharp bend approaching a busy roundabout where even in the ideal conditions, no traffic and strong tail wind you'd struggle to get up to 25mph where the KOM is 40mph :rolleyes:

Top Bottom