Spoke breakage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

invisibleway

Regular
Hey

So I joined this place in Leeds called pedallers arms (which is awesome) a while ago... intention was to strip and do up a bike (i bought from someone on here) and learn stuff.

So far i've not managed that cus i've just been doing stuff to my regular bike.
I changed the wheel set and bought a new (shimano) cassette and (sram) chain and then had a spoke break on me.... so then went back to pedallers to learn how to change a spoke and rebalance a wheel.
Was told buy the guy who helped me that it was actually a really well made wheel..(he builds them apparently)
Today I was out riding from leeds to york via selby and I had another spoke breakage.
Its so annoying cus your wheel litterally wobbles all over so if your in the middle of no where you just have to ride it rubbing on your break pads (even if you open them up)

Anywho I was just wondering if anyone knows of common reasons for spoke breaks cus I think 2 in 1 week is a bit redic considering i was riding the old york railway tarmac (better than most leeds roads!)

p.s it was the same wheel (back) couldn't tell you if it was the same spoke that went.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought some wheels off a mate. His rear derailleur had gone into his back wheel and broke a couple of spokes, which he had replaced. He then sold me the wheels at a bargain price.

What he hadn't noticed was that a 3rd spoke had suffered damage too, and that one snapped during a forum ride to Blackpool a week or two later.

You are right about the wobble ... I could not ride with the wheel like that so I had to take my rear brake blocks out to get me to Blackpool station to catch a train home!

OP
OP
invisibleway

invisibleway

Regular
We literally checked the tension of all the other spokes and like I said he builds wheels and reckons i've got a cracking pair... so I dunno what was cause this twice in 1 week. :sad: luckily both times i was not solo riding in absolute no where cus I think i'd of been very frustrated. but its making me not wanna go solo ride cus ya can't exactly take all that stuff with you to replace a spoke on the road.

sittingbull

Veteran
I had a spell of snapping rear drive side spokes. They went one at a time and I'd replace the broken spoke only. I was told black anodised spokes break more often and that when one breaks those around it are overloaded and may break on subsequent rides.

I replaced the wheels for the summer, then come the winter I put the original ones back after first replacing a few more spokes at random. Since the start of last winter it's ridden perfectly, including a number of centuries (when a wobbly wheel is obviously particularly undesirable). Still looking forward to putting the "new" Mavic's back on for the summer though :biggrin:

Metal fatigue may well be a factor that comes with age, just got to keep on replacing them.
Most times you can still go a good long distance with a missing spoke or carrying a key and a spare or two would be possible.

alicat

Legendary Member
Er .... go back and ask the bloke who is really good with wheels?

Not being flippant by the way. He can see the wheel and be in a better position to advise. Or else he isn't that good with wheels.

Top Bottom