SRAM Rival - surprised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
My latest addition to the stable ( Focus Culebro ) has the Rival groupset fitted. I'm not a strictly Campag or Shimano convert, I like the feel of Campag and it's clunk and the hoods/shifters are comfy, I also like the light action/slickness of Shimano but not keen on the hoods :biggrin:

Anyway........... this bike was purchased with a doubt about the double tap system of SRAM and comments from people about it's finish. It just shows what a load of B***OCKS some people on the forums type. The finish is the same standard as any shimano or Campag equipment , in fact the crank arms have a better finish on both sides than I have seen of late from the leading brands.

The entire groupset on the bike with the exception of the chain ( Ultegra) is Rival and it got its first outing last night. I easily got used to the shifting after a couple of pushes, the problem is with riding different bikes with different kit to remember which you're on!! The shift lever is the same as the one on the Shimano levers but it operates all from the little lever, not the brake lever. A single push/click shifts down the cassette and a bigger/double push shifts up. How easy is that!! The action is light and extremely simple. It's easy to shift from the drops and when out of the saddle on the hoods .

The rest of the kit also performs very well. The brakes were good before even bedding in and have good power. The shifters are slick but have a nice Campag type clunk. I think SRAM have picked a winner here if more people try it out it will catch on but we are all stuck in old habits of only buying from the usual suspects.

The bike is also brilliant. I met a guy in Scotland last year when I was up there doing a bit of light touring and he had one. We rode together for a good couple of hours chatting and he loved his ( If you read this Daz it's your fault!! ) . This is the second Focus I've had and I can't figure out how the hell they do them for the money. The Finishing kit is amazing and the frame is excellent. It's very light and gives a firm ride but not harsh, even some of the concept kit is pretty good. I've only added a saddle I'm used to,pedals,lights and bottle cages. It makes a very nice winter bike until the favourites come out of hibernation :smile:

bonj2

it's going to be good, sram are a massive company that have bought up loads of smaller ones, they're going to have a big r&d budget.

Top Bottom