starting to race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lengthcroft

Hi,
I am wondering how fast I need to be to start road racing. I started cycling to enter triathlons, but am now interested in starting to do some road races. To enter the lowest level of road race, what pace should I be able to hold for, say, a 40k solo ride on a flat course?

Thanks.

For a BC cat 4/3 race min 23/25 mph

screenman

Legendary Member
Try one, what is the worst that can happen. Hopefully you have done a good bit group riding first and have been shown how to do so.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It isn't about pace so much as about being able to match bursts of speed and ride safely in a tight bunch.
You do realise that you need a racing licence?

montage

God Almighty
For a BC cat 4/3 race min 23/25 mph

last 3/4 crit here was 27.7mph.

Pace varies depending on course and the location, some areas are much harder entry level fields than others.

for crits, you ability to hit out hard and recover before doing it again is more important than average pace - get doing some 1 minute intervals or similar anaerobic efforts to prep for 3/4 crits

oldroadman

Veteran
Learn how to ride in a group first. Peloton etiquette. There are a number of useful video clips on the BC website which helps with theory and shows some demos. Start with closed circuit, at least you won't have to worry about traffic. As has been said, you need to be able to go into the red at up to 60+kph for short periods. Road racing is not about constant speed (until you are good enough to get into breaks). Don't forget you need to join BC, you can get a day licence as a try out, but of course you do get insurance. Plus don't forget to have a look at the regulations on the website - ignorance can be excused a little, but it really is no excuse. jerseys with sleeves and no silly handlebars and pointy crash hats, for instance. Apart from that, ride safe and best of luck.

Craig29

Hi all, I have enjoyed reading all your comments but could someone please tell me what BC is, please excuse my ignorance. Cheers

Hi all, I have enjoyed reading all your comments but could someone please tell me what BC is, please excuse my ignorance. Cheers
BC/British cycling....

Last edited:

montage

God Almighty

I'd suggest finding your local circuit races and going to watch them a few times if it isn't too much of a journey - there will be countless people there willing to give some advice

Buddfox

Veteran
Join your local cycling club and ask them… also the best way to get some experience riding in a group. As oldroadman says, watch all of the RaceSmart videos (it will soon become compulsory to declare you have watched them to be allowed to race), as they give some useful pointers, but there's no substitute for riding close to others (and supporting your local club at the same time).

Good luck!

zizou

Veteran
Yeah best advice is join the local club there should be a few experienced racers happy to help plus it will give you a chance to get some experience group riding. Some clubs will even offer some formal race skills coaching.

I wouldnt worry too much about speeds it is so course and weather specific - ive had crits and road races average between 22 and 26 mph this year. Being in a group and also being in a race makes a huge difference - i'm nowhere close to averaging 22mph on a typical solo ride!

reacher

for masters age 55 to 60 what type of speed would you need to be able to hold during an average race and what distance would that typically be over ?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
for masters age 55 to 60 what type of speed would you need to be able to hold during an average race and what distance would that typically be over ?
Vet racing in the UK is run by clubs under LVRC or TLI rulings. There are very few BC races for vets aka masters.
My race tomorrow is TLI and is 40 miles over a very lumpy road circuit. It is a bunch race so the last thing on your mind is what speed am I doing? Mostly it will be your race fitness that will find you out and lacking. Attacks and surges are the things to cope with. If you go with an attack or a break you will find yourself in the red for a number of minutes and if the attack is successful and you have company you then have to quickly recover and hold up a pace and share work and hopefully stay away. You can obviously just stay with the main bunch if it is not your 'day' but even so racing can be hard. I can sometimes think of nicer things to do on a Sunday morning for 2 hours plus but I'd still recommend picking up racing be it road or time trialling and in all honesty bike races should not be either preceded by a swim or succeeded by a run and sleeveless vests belong underneath a jersey.

reacher

ok thanks , its difficult to get an idea of how good you are if you only ever ride alone like I do ,

Top Bottom