Sticker says "I cant see cyclists" , has Croydon council logo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Considering how cheap and effective modern vehicle camera technology is I can't understand why any large vehicle is allowed on the roads with known blinds spots. It seems our lives are cheaper than the necessary equipment.

Nope, not a chance, absolutely invisible, he simply cannot see them

LocalLad

Then he would undoubtably be invisible to him
Even worse...what if he is a cyclist. He wouldn't see himself in the mirror and would, therefore, be a vampire.

Bloody hell, I'm staying well clear of him......so, maybe the sign works?

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
In our region, the waste collection company, Grundon have been really great about educating their drivers, and have installed extra cameras and mirrors so they CAN see cyclists. They've also done a roadshow at cycling events, getting cyclists into the cab, to show what the problem is (or was), and I think have also got their drivers to get on bikes, to see it from the other side. This is all the more impressive in that we are semi rural, so I'd say it's less relevant, I don't think I've ever seen one of their trucks whilst on a ride (note to self, must get out for more early morning rides).

They've done it really well on the PR side anyway, I suspect that it may not be fully rolled out and implemented, and some of the drivers may not be as reasonable as the ones they take on the roadshow. But I really respect the fact that they are making the effort, and raising the bar.

david k

Hi
I wonder if that sign is in fact an admission of potential liability? As it's a known defect, putting a sign on the vehicle (which may or may not be legible to cyclists), is surely just an admission of culpability if and when they injure or kill?
Yes but the intention is to put blame on cyclists, we told you we couldn't see you, it's your own fault is the message

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes but the intention is to put blame on cyclists, we told you we couldn't see you, it's your own fault is the message

On the other hand he may just be informing you that if you park right up the arse of his lorry, he cannot see you. In which case he correct he cannot see you. But in reality the driver may not even know the sign exists as he probably drives a different truck every day and they slap all sorts of dayglow rubbish signs on trucks which you tend not to pay attention to.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
On the other hand he may just be informing you that if you park right up the arse of his lorry, he cannot see you. In which case he correct he cannot see you. But in reality the driver may not even know the sign exists as he probably drives a different truck every day and they slap all sorts of dayglow rubbish signs on trucks which you tend not to pay attention to.
In which case the signs that say 'If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you' are a bit more sensible (and give less of the 'blame-transferring' impression).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In which case the signs that say 'If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you' are a bit more sensible (and give less of the 'blame-transferring' impression).

Probably designed and written by a designer who has never sat in a lorry and not a driver. Plus the sign would need to be a lot bigger and not leave room for other useless signs like "Am I a good driver? Ring xxxxxx"

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Probably designed and written by a designer who has never sat in a lorry and not a driver. Plus the sign would need to be a lot bigger and not leave room for other useless signs like "Am I a good driver? Ring xxxxxx"

Love those 'Am I a good driver? Ring xxx' which are so small that you have to crash into the back of them to actually read the number.

Jody

Stubborn git

Its surely only the same as putting one of those "beware of the dog" signs on your gate. You have admitted liability before the event has taken place.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Be interestin
Its surely only the same as putting one of those "beware of the dog" signs on your gate. You have admitted liability before the event has taken place.

It's more like a cyclist having a sign that says "If you cant read this i will shoot you in the head".

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Love those 'Am I a good driver? Ring xxx' which are so small that you have to crash into the back of them to actually read the number.
Rang one of those once about a Tesco lorry, I said he wasn't a good driver, he said he was a good driver, I didn't have a camera, that was the end of that. Result :okay:

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

On a related note, Ive no idea what a ManTG is but stay well clear:

CoR9mTeWYAAjjmO.png

Top Bottom