Sticker says "I cant see cyclists" , has Croydon council logo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not really. You are entitled to have a loose dog on your own secured property.

Of course you are allowed a dog loose on your own property. In the event your dog bites someone and your sign says beware or warning you are liable by admission of the sign.

http://www.govyou.co.uk/beware-of-the-dog-sign-laws/

"If such a sign is on display when the dog attacks a trespasser, then its owner is liable for prosecution, because it could be argued that by displaying the sign they knew the dog was dangerous. However, if the dog attacks an intruder when no sign is visible then the court would decree that the owner was unaware of the threat of the animal, and is therefore not liable for court action"

You can still put signs up that say things like dogs running free etc.

I am not in the legal profession but this was my understanding of the sign if used

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Of course you are allowed a dog loose on your own property. In the event your dog bites someone and your sign says beware or warning you are liable by admission of the sign.

http://www.govyou.co.uk/beware-of-the-dog-sign-laws/

"If such a sign is on display when the dog attacks a trespasser, then its owner is liable for prosecution, because it could be argued that by displaying the sign they knew the dog was dangerous. However, if the dog attacks an intruder when no sign is visible then the court would decree that the owner was unaware of the threat of the animal, and is therefore not liable for court action"

You can still put signs up that say things like dogs running free etc.

I am not in the legal profession but this was my understanding of the sign if used

That article is a big steaming turd of dog mess.

Any driver with this sticker should be removed from the road until they've sat an extended driving test.
And if they're ignorant of the sticker it shows they did not check their vehicle before they set off. Do they regularly fly around with the tailgate down and the back doors open?

Hip Priest

Veteran
A sign doesn't relinquish responsibility, like my daughters old horse riding school saying you ride here at your own risk, what you charge, make money but expect no responsibility ?? You take the money you must accept responsibility

I dunno about that. I think they're just point out that horse-riding carries a certain amount of risk, and that accidents can still happen despite all reasonable precautions being taken. It doesn't absolve them of all responsibility.

The signs on the trucks on the other hand are a load of bollocks. The roads are a public space, and you can't simply put a sticker on your vehicle to warn other road users of some stupid rule you made up.

Tim Hall

@Fab Foodie complains that his never gets a round in.
This is where a beer kitty is so much more useful.

Probably designed and written by a designer who has never sat in a lorry and not a driver. Plus the sign would need to be a lot bigger and not leave room for other useless signs like "Am I a good driver? Ring xxxxxx"
It really is completely half baked. The slogan is just wrong, and clear written by someone who has no idea of road safety. But more than that, what is the hash-tag for. Normally, someone creates a hashtag because they have some social media strategy, trying to generate buzz or "start a conversation". So as well as putting the hashtag on stickers, you make a few tweets using it. But until Monday, there were no tweets at all using the hashtag. Now there is one https://twitter.com/hashtag/icantseecyclists?src=hash

I just get a vision of a meeting, when someone has a brilliant idea "we should make a hashtag. Isn't that what the kids do?"

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

It really is completely half baked. The slogan is just wrong, and clear written by someone who has no idea of road safety. But more than that, what is the hash-tag for. Normally, someone creates a hashtag because they have some social media strategy, trying to generate buzz or "start a conversation". So as well as putting the hashtag on stickers, you make a few tweets using it. But until Monday, there were no tweets at all using the hashtag. Now there is one https://twitter.com/hashtag/icantseecyclists?src=hash

I just get a vision of a meeting, when someone has a brilliant idea "we should make a hashtag. Isn't that what the kids do?"

Reading that link, the initiative is supported, and possibly funded, by an HGV company. Their boss stresses the dangers of cyclists undertaking. As if that is what is killing people on bikes. Except it isnt. Most victims are run down from behind, or killed by a drunk, blind or banned HGV driver. So the industry of road haulage has subverted a road safety campaign and turned it into a victim blaming campaign that lies about the victims. Trebles all round!

Irony is alive and well and living in Croydon. They drove this around to increase cyclist safety.

Croydon-2.gif

Top Bottom