Sticker-shaming motorists who park in bicycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/sep/29/bike-lane-sticker-campaign-canada-uk

I wasn't even game to read more than a few comments on this article, because it just sounds like complete click-bait. Although the idea of placing nastygrams on cars parked in bike lanes has occurred to me before, I would never actually dare to do it in Australia, because it would just make things worse. The motoring culture is so entrenched here that sticker-shaming would probably just backfire.

classic33

Leg End Member
An alternate way as suggested on the now defunct raging bike site, was small yellow magnetic strips.
Commenting on what you thought of the driving. Used one or two when I worked in Leeds.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
An alternate way as suggested on the now defunct raging bike site, was small yellow magnetic strips.
Commenting on what you thought of the driving. Used one or two when I worked in Leeds.
I like the magnetic strips approach, because it lets you make a point without risking being accused of vandalism.

sidevalve

Über Member
I assume sticking things on bikes ridden or simply laid on the footpath will be ok too ? But if you really want to p--s people off and harden the anti cyclist attitude go right ahead.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I assume sticking things on bikes ridden or simply laid on the footpath will be ok too ? But if you really want to p--s people off and harden the anti cyclist attitude go right ahead.
Other than the odd group of lads on bmxes stopping at the corner shop, is the laying of bikes on footpaths something you see a lot?

Learnincurve

What? So because people rob shops we should ignore the people who rob houses. These are two completely separate things. I'm guessing you have never found yourself having to go round cars on a major A road yourself. It's not about the if you should or should not use the bike path in the first place debate either, it's the fact that if you are using it and you find a car parked there, you then have to pull out into, often heavy, traffic doing 60 mph that may not be fully concentrating on looking for bikes because they assume you will be in the lane.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I'd prefer to shove a ticket under their wiper because it's less damaging. I carry enough junk on the bike so I may print some and carry them.

Best one I had was a parked lorry driver complaining about cyclists riding on roads rather than cycleways. Ordinarily, I'd point out that most cycleways are too poor for some bikes to be safe on, but in this case, I simply pointed out that his lorry was at that moment parked blocking a cycleway which I would have used if he hadn't. :/

this fascinates me, when the writer wonders
how I’d feel if a pedestrian slapped a sticker on my back while I was cycling
. That would be a physical assault, while the other is putting a sticker on a car.

I know it's easy for drivers to think of the car as their body, but I'm surprised that someone thinking as a cyclist feels the same way.

Top Bottom